Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Revenue want to scrap brothers cars

Options
  • 01-04-2010 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

(Helpful posts only please. There is no point in going for a high horse as it wasn't me, Thanks)

New one on me but my brother has a problem

Him being "unique" bought a UK AUDI car and left it sitting in the shead for a year without VRT paid.

He then serviced it (he watched me do it) at Christmas with the intention of clearing it. That didnt go so well as he bumped in to customs at the local filling station while washing the car.

So he earned a fine. The car was confiscated, Fine was paid.

Not that simple

Customs are now claiming they need to verify the vehicles identity and a log book was not enough. They wanted to send the car up north to be checked. (I assume the usual does plates and engine numbers match....)

North would not check the car and no luck with England. They now want to scrap the car.

I saw the chasis plates while servicing(one on the slam panel) and it looked ok to me. Didn't exactly dig out all the plates and numbers

QUESTIONS

Is there someone here in Ireland that can do a vehicle identity check?

It there any precedent for this, is it normal?

Anyone have a similar experience....

Am i not correct in saying that the V5 logbook is the vehicles identity?

Suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

my mate says he shoulda brought the car in straight away
    not me no sir

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

In my entire time on the road I have only ever seen customs less than a handful of times and your brother managed to get caught the very first time he took it out on a public road in 12 months? That's either incredibly unlucky or just not very truthful.. :)

Anyways, didn't they not verify the identity of the car when they were releasing it to him from the impound?
    I would've thought a quick check for the VIN and comparing it with the logbook would've done.

I'd say they're really just kicking up a fuss over this because he's been 'dodging the system' for so long, in their eyes.
    Even with the fine and him VRT'ing it now, a year down the line, I'd say he's still saving money if he were to have VRT'd it on day one. That's why they're making a big deal I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Can you confirm that the VIN on the car (look at more than one plate) actually matches the VIN on the V5C?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Vertakill wrote: »
    In my entire time on the road I have only ever seen customs less than a handful of times and your brother managed to get caught the very first time he took it out on a public road in 12 months? That's either incredibly unlucky or just not very truthful.. :)

Wouldnt put it past him. Im 150 miles away
    Anyways, didn't they not verify the identity of the car when they were releasing it to him from the impound?
    I would've thought a quick check for the VIN and comparing it with the logbook would've done.
    Car still in impound. I thought the same on a quick check but no. They seem to want a full UK VIC.
    I'd say they're really just kicking up a fuss over this because he's been 'dodging the system' for so long, in their eyes.

Even with the fine and him VRT'ing it now, a year down the line, I'd say he's still saving money if he were to have VRT'd it on day one. That's why they're making a big deal I think.

That would make sense. Hes not one for making his life an easy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Does he have the proper complete cert from uk?
    Is it an old car?
    or is there some particular history with the car thats dodgy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

In my entire time on the road I have only ever seen customs less than a handful of times and your brother managed to get caught the very first time he took it out on a public road in 12 months? That's either incredibly unlucky or just not very truthful.. :).

I would agree, only that just last week my niece bought a uk reg car and was stopped at traffic lights here in town (Fermoy ) when a Customs officer jumped out of his car and tapped on her window.. she showed him the documents that she hads purchased the car with duty included in price and was awating her new number.
    Lucky she was wearing her "Blue" work clothes I guess :D

vectra wrote: »
    I would agree, only that just last week my niece bought a uk reg car and was stopped at traffic lights here in town (Fermoy ) when a Customs officer jumped out of his car and tapped on her window.. she showed him the documents that she hads purchased the car with duty included in price and was awating her new number.
    Lucky she was wearing her "Blue" work clothes I guess :D

what you mean shes a garda?

Tigger wrote: »
    what you mean shes a garda?

yup :pac:

not really the same thing then

In fairness it is one rule for us and one for the Guards, much like any other trade or profession, there are perks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

RoverJames wrote: »
    In fairness it is one rule for us and one for the Guards, much like any other trade or profession, there are perks.

Dont know about this but you are number one on my "love buddy" list for the day :o so how does this work, do you buy me a few cans in the off licence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Wow that sucks that they still have the car impounded.

Does he have any proof of purchase lying about still? When I bought my car up North, I got a receipt to prove I'd bought it and all the cars details (mileage etc).

If he were to show the V5C with matching VIN on the car, and possibly get a HPI check of the UK reg (listed on the V5C) to show that the car isn't reported as stolen over there, that might help get things moving.

Also, does your brother have the mileage of the car recorded from when he bought it (or anytime shortly after that)?
    If he did, and the current mileage is very similar, then he could prove the car has not been driven since he brought it in which I say is playing on their minds.

Although, with all that being said, you'd think the Gardai could do all of that without having to transport the car up and down the country... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

There was a bunch of nearly half a million original V5C certs stolen a few years back and seemingly the thieving scum have been stealing high end cars and giving them legitimate papers to sell on.I wouldnt be surprised if they require the full check to confirm the cars origin.

Tigger wrote: »
    not really the same thing then

Explin ?
    RoverJames wrote: »

Not actually.
    He wasnt leaving her go until she showed him the paperwork

Advertisement