Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iTunes deleting music off my HDD and iPod.

Options
  • 01-04-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm currently transferring music from my CD collection to my new iTouch. I've copied a good few albums onto my iPod and now I want to delete them off my computer to make room for some more albums - the problem being:
    When I delete the music off my computer, it's automatically deleted off my iPod...

Is there anyway around this? I've a huge CD collection and don't want to store it all on my computer.
    Using Windows BTW with iTunes version 9.0.3.15.

Thanks and sorry if this has already been posted, I googled to no avail.
    H2DC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Your best bet is to buy a cheap external hard drive and store all your music there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You probably have it set to auto sync at the moment, so when you delete from your computer, it delets from the iPod too.

You need to check the box to manually manage your iPod's music, it's on the first page of the screen when you click on your iPod in iTunes. Then, to get music on your iPod, you need to drag it across from the iTunes library to the iPod. You can drag songs, albums or artists, and you can select multiple items by shift-clicking or control-clicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Thats brilliant phutle - seems to be working like a charm, thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If anything happens to your iPod Touch, you'll be goosed, as the computer is where the albums are stored.

Hi Whiterebel - I plan on getting an external HDD at some stage, also I plan on filling as much of the 64GB as possible with music so it wouldn't be practical to store it all on my computer, after just forking out for the iTouch, it'll be a while before I spend thedosh on the HDD...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hi Whiterebel - I plan on getting an external HDD at some stage, also I plan on filling as much of the 64GB as possible with music so it wouldn't be practical to store it all on my computer, after just forking out for the iTouch, it'll be a while before I spend thedosh on the HDD...

I just re-read the original post, and noticed you have them on CD. Thats fine if anything happens, just a lot of work ripping them all again. Downloaded music would be a different matter, especially if purchased from the iTunes Store.

I'm currently replacing a Sony Walkman (which I had approx 18Gb of music alone on), can't get the music from the Walkman to the iTouch so am already re-ripping my entire collection!!! Fun fun fun!

Advertisement