Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Shutting down

Options
  • 01-04-2010 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Has anyone here seen this issue with Windows 7.
    I've been running the Ultimate edition for a few months now with NO issues - Am very pleased with it.
    This was until a few weeks ago - after a recent windows update it started to shutdown my laptop occasionally and restart it. At first it was only myself that saw it, but now my mates PCs are doing the same thing - Is this a know Windows 7 issue?

Cheers
    Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Have you looked at the event logs. Is there any error messages given when you restart?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Is it the full retail version of Windows 7 or the RC / Beta version.
    The reason I ask is that "Windows 7 RC expires on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, PCs running Windows 7 RC began shutting down every two hours."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Is it the full retail version of Windows 7 or the RC / Beta version.
    The reason I ask is that "Windows 7 RC expires on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, PCs running Windows 7 RC began shutting down every two hours."

Thanks for the reply. I'm not too sure to be completely honest - but every 2hrs seems about right - Damn!! :eek:
    Apart from buying a full retail version is there any way around it?

Oh, what does 'RC' version stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

If it is the evaluation version it will say the version on the bottom right of the screen.

Does it say anything there?

If it is the evaluation version it will say the version on the bottom right of the screen.

Does it say anything there?

It came with a 'Toolkit' which removed any of the on-screen watermarks so I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

RC = Release Candidate.

You can find out if you're on the RC by checking your system properties - easiest way is Start > Run > "Winver" (from here).

Fysh wrote: »
    RC = Release Candidate.

You can find out if you're on the RC by checking your system properties - easiest way is Start > Run > "Winver" (from here).

Thanks for that - I'll check when I get home (am in work at the mo).
    But it sounds like we have the RC version :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Steve.N wrote: »
    Thanks for that - I'll check when I get home (am in work at the mo).
    But it sounds like we have the RC version :(

Looks like its RC. Win7 RC was supposed to be shutting down every few hours starting 1st March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Looks like its RC. Win7 RC was supposed to be shutting down every few hours starting 1st March.

And from what i heard the time it stays 'awake' will get smaller and smaller. the further you leave it:o

Advertisement