Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Hemp in Construction

Options
  • 01-04-2010 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

According to some info I came across recently, Hemp, (hempcrete) over time, is stronger, more elastic, lighter and cheaper than concrete, can be sprayed onto walls, is breathable, natural and can be made into a load of other products suitable for building. Is this too good to be true?

http://www.hemp.org/news/book/export/html/202

My friends parents floored their scandinavian style barn with it and reckon its the business, but weren't sure about its load bearing abilities, and it has a rougher finish, so can't be carpeted over or polished like concrete. I'm extending & renovating a 100+ yr old cottage soon and was thinking of using ICF for the extension, and now I'm considering filling it with hemp, but obviously, that'll have to be well reasearched, boards.ie is a good place to bounce the idea around :D so any info I can get on this stuff would be appreciated.
    Has anyone any experience in using Hemp products for wall construction/foundations/flooring/insullation/wall covering? How did it work out? Where can you order it? I think there are laws against growing large quantites of 'hemp' crops in Ireland so availability might be an issue ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

enol wrote: »
    According to some info I came across recently, Hemp, (hempcrete) over time, is stronger, more elastic, lighter and cheaper than concrete, can be sprayed onto walls, is breathable, natural and can be made into a load of other products suitable for building. Is this too good to be true?

It is quite good, but not everything you said is true, or at least is stretching the truth.

Compared to concrete;
    Stronger: Nope, for members the same size concrete is stronger. Hempcrete is less dense, so might be stronger in terms so weight, but so could anything.

It is likely more elastic, lighter and maybe breathable. I'd question it being cheaper. And concrete can also be sprayed onto walls. Also, its just as natural as concrete.

Basically, it's concrete with hemp.

Has anyone any experience in using Hemp products for wall construction/foundations/flooring/insullation/wall covering? How did it work out? Where can you order it?
    There was an article in construction ireland two years ago by Patrick Daly on the properties of Hempcrete sprayed walls. Was pretty good if I remember correct. At the time, it was going to be the nest big thing.

I think there are laws against growing large quantites of 'hemp' crops in Ireland so availability might be an issue ;)

lol, no there isn't. Hemp covers a variety of crops, only a fraction of which contain THC. Hemo crops are products can be freely grown and sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

There's a very good book by Tom Woolley called "Hemp Lime Construction" which would be worth the investment if your considering this type of build.

http://www.brebookshop.com/details.jsp?id=321427

Advertisement