Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstalling XP after Win7

Options
  • 31-03-2010 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Ok guys I recently installed Win7 on an old laptop I have but now have to revert back to Xp as 7 appears to be to taxing on it. Installing programs and even web browsing causes it to overheat and shut off.

Anyway im almost there but just have a few questions, when I booted from the cd first few times it couldnt find the harddrive. A quick google and it appears drivers were missing and slipstreaming the drivers into the disk was recommended. Anyway couldn't get this to work so another solution I saw was to disable Native Sata Support (I think)? in the BIOS. Did this and all went ok. My question here is will this have any implications down the line??

Lastly before installing I had to format C:, so I did this but now the Recovery Partition (which was D: ) has taken on the drive letter C:. The formated part (which has the OS) has now taken D: Which means everytime I boot it up the recovery console loads and the comp wont run? How can I put this right?:confused:

Sorry for the essay:o:)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Once you get the system sorted and install proper SATA drivers you can re-enable SATA in the BIOS.

You could try changing C: to E: and then maybe it will let you change D: to C: , it's been a while and can't remember if there are dire consequences for doing that to the boot volume or just a message warning you of that

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭niallfullback

Thanks, in trying to avoid that messing with changing drives (looks messy) could I just delete the recovery partion then format it into one large drive? Which I presume would be C:?

And later just repartion it and stick it into the new partion? I already have it backed up on an external drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Strange that it is overheating. That would indicate a problem with the cooling on the processor and would happen anytime the processor was at full speed whatever the OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭niallfullback

Ended up just formating the whole hard drive and reinstalling, had to find drivers then but figured it out in the end:)

As regards the overheating it hasn't happened since?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

hmmm, im surprises with the overheating. I suspect this isnt the last of that issue. Lets hope I'm wrong. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement