Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Removing remains of sticky tape from paintwork/seals/vinyl

Options
  • 31-03-2010 3:22pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had an Autoglass perspex-'window' in my car for about 3 weeks while waiting for the right glass to come in from Poland and now that the glass is in, I have a gummy mess left where the tape was

Its over paintwork, window seals and vinyl "trim" between the two windows. Anyone know if theres a suitable product to get it off without fecking up the seals/vinyl?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Autosmart tardis should do the job, it's a tar and glue remover.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

WD40 will take it off.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

CJhaughey wrote: »
    WD40 will take it off.

I've been trying that (paintwork and some solid plastic at the base so far only) and its not helping much. But I did give up when it started snowing, so its tomorrows job now. Will give it and Neilw's suggestion a go if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Put some petrol on a cloth and rub like mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd expect Autoglass to remove it, tbh..... If WD40 is not working, try lighter fuel (handier than petrol!).

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

IPA. :)

white spirits, nail varnish remover/acetone etc etc. just be sure to give the area a cleaning after using it as it.,

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

esel wrote: »
    I'd expect Autoglass to remove it, tbh..... If WD40 is not working, try lighter fuel (handier than petrol!).

Window was fitted by a Fiat dealer not Autoglass, Autoglass were entirely unable to source the glass required so I had to.

Right, should anyone hit this thread via Google:

1: Remove as much of the paper of the tape as you can. The solvents don't go through it easily.
    2: On the seals and vinyl you can use something blunt (I used the edge of a teaspoon bowl) to push off more of the paper. Be careful with this and you won't scratch the vinyl, the seals shouldn't be scratchable
    3: Use tar remover to get off the gum. It'll be harder on paintwork.

I used a "bug sponge" with the tar remover and eventually, after about an hour of work, its all gone. Also try to avoid a tar remover with waxing agents in it, cause IT then becomes a bitch to remove!

Advertisement