Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy hours ?

Options
  • 31-03-2010 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Any pubs have happy hours in the city center of Dublin or near Phibsborough ?
    I live in an Asian country where nearly every pub has a happy hour ,and i know the UK have the same .
    Will be visiting Dublin for 2 weeks in MAY .Last time in Dublin around 2 years ago there was no happy hours ,but now with the recession maybe there is ? .I prefer pubs with live music but any pub will do .
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

are they not illegal nowadays?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Reckon there's a late night pub/club type venue, few door down from Stag's Head, Dame Lane? Or at least there was, last time I was back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Happy hours are indeed illegal, since 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

there's 2 for 1 in the vaults beside connolly station monday to friday 5pm to 10pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

BeerNut wrote: »
    Happy hours are indeed illegal, since 2003.

Feck ,rip off Ireland strikes again .I am only going back as i have some business to do .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

anto2 wrote: »
    Feck ,rip off Ireland strikes again .I am only going back as i have some business to do .

Why is it when somethign is not possible the term "Rip-Off Ireland" is thrown about?? The publicans would be all to happy to throw booze at you for next to nothing during certain hours. It was done as a misguided attempt to change drinking culture in Ireland not to rip you off!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Theta wrote: »
    The publicans would be all to happy to throw booze at you for next to nothing during certain hours.
    I disagree strongly. The publicans have long occupied a happy position where they can gouge the punter senseless and pretend that it's all progressive policy in the interests of public health. This was a prime example; the 2008 Intoxicating Liquor Act which closed offies at 10pm while leaving early houses untouched was another. It's only since the recession that the pubs have been forced to even begin to change their cartel mindset and introduce the price competition which every other consumer industry takes as read.

The swift and silent sinking of the café bar licence scheme in 2004 showed very clearly how much legislative muscle the publicans of Ireland have, and how their number one goal is always me féin. Good Friday opening only became an issue when the potential lost lucre became apparent.

They've seen what happened to the taxi drivers. They won't have that happening to them.

If they'd wanted to stop the criminalising of happy hours they would have. But it was good for the cartel, and what's good for the cartel is good for Ireland. Drink up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is nothing to stop them opening at say 5, and having a low price and raising it at 7 or 8. In effect they can still have a happy hour, just the price must never go down upon opening (which is the actual law).

Many pubs now have "happy days" which is another way around this, usually mondays or tuesdays.

Another loophole is to simply have a particular brand of beer or vodka at a low price. But mysteriously be out of stock of it all day, until 5 arrives, then run out at 6 or 7. Or just be out of stock until 5 and raise the price at 6 or 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

Anyway there is always good old Aldi and Liddle for a cheap take away .My favourite pub ''The Cobble Stone '' ,Smithfield used to have reasonable prices ,and good Irish trad music .Hope its still the same ?

Advertisement