Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 upgrade question ?

Options
  • 31-03-2010 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭

Hi im thinking of buying Windows 7 upgrade , Iv never upgraded my operating system before so im a little unsure about it , if I buy Windows 7 upgrade does that include both an upgrade and the full windows 7 install disks or are they both sold seperately ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What you buy is a license to upgrade an earlier license of windows to windows 7

the old windows license is revoked and you can't re-use it
    if the old windows license was bound to the motherboard as the vast majority of home user windows licenses are then the windows 7 license is now bound to that same motherboard and it lives or dies with the computer , you can't re-use it elsewhere later

Big question , are you sure your computer can handle windows 7 , most vista machines can, earlier XP ones may not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

What you buy is a license to upgrade an earlier license of windows to windows 7

the old windows license is revoked and you can't re-use it
    if the old windows license was bound to the motherboard as the vast majority of home user windows licenses are then the windows 7 license is now bound to that same motherboard and it lives or dies with the computer , you can't re-use it elsewhere later

Big question , are you sure your computer can handle windows 7 , most vista machines can, earlier XP ones may not

Yeah iv downloaded the windows 7 advisor and it said the laptop would be able for windows 7 , can you do a clean install with an upgrade ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If you have XP, Microsoft recommend a full up-grade by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Biggins wrote: »
    If you have XP, Microsoft recommend a full up-grade by the way.

Iv got vista at the minute , but its a piece of crap so gonna have to get rid of it for my sanity.

threein99 wrote: »
    Iv got vista at the minute , but its a piece of crap so gonna have to get rid of it for my sanity.
    That I (and many) can understand - and agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

So is the window 7 upgrade really worth it?

XDivaX wrote: »
    So is the window 7 upgrade really worth it?
    I would say "yes".

Have a read of this earlier thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055846066

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I would try some vista tweaks first, - on the stickies somewhere

Advertisement