Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who needs fathers - BBC2 TV

Options
  • 31-03-2010 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭

Who needs fathers.

Interesting series of programs starting tonight on BBC2 about the effects of seperation on the kids.
    Source
    A major series to mark 20 years since the passing of the Children Act, investigates whether its key principle is being adhered to - that in family breakdown and divorce, the welfare of the child is paramount.
    One in three British children have parents who are separated, and it's their relationship with the absent parent that's the key factor in their long-term wellbeing. The first film follows two families, one locked in a long battle in the Family Court, and the other determined to stay out of court and manage the split themselves. The film explores the impact of separation on children's lives and how decisions made in court play out in already troubled relationships.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

This could be a really interesting watch, thanks for the heads up. My own parents separated when I was 11, and at the time I very much took it in my stride. But it's not until I became an adult and had to start dealing with my own relationship issues that I began to see the impact that not having my Dad around for my formative years would have. Everyone's situation is different of course, but I think it's an undeniable truth that separations - and the usually inevitable loss of a father from the home - deeply affect kids in very pronounced ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

^ Silimar to that. My parents divorced when I was quite young and I also took it in my stride and my father remained very involved in my life and I never for once felt lacking of him.

However as an adult, I now realise that one thing that I never grew up with was seeing too adults resolve things together and that has certainly affected all my relationships pretty much with everyone.

ANd the myth is - that when the divorce happens the fighting stops- or at least that is what I had thought at the young age of 5 - but this is not true -the fighting just changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

just to let you no theres a similier program on tv3 toniht at 10:30 on how rasing your children through your own eyes in which is interesteding enough.....

but hey figured id let you guys know ...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

just to let you no theres a similier program on tv3 toniht at 10:30 on how rasing your children through your own eyes in which is interesteding enough.....

but hey figured id let you guys know ...:D

Any chance we can have that again in a sentence we can all understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

less of the pedantic stuff please. If you have an issue with a post, report it.

cheers

MM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Dr Galen wrote: »
    less of the pedantic stuff please. If you have an issue with a post, report it.

cheers

MM

No issue with the post, just cant understand it, asking for the poster to repost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

anyone with half a brain could understand snow-monkey's post in fairness. its hardly the place for smart ass comments *end of rant*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

:eek: this viewing is just like real life. *shudders*

I have 2 kids 19 & 16 now but were 4 and 1 at the time of the break up.Impact -yup and I'm one of the luckier ones that I have a relationship with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Hi

I've been following this programme and it is so interesting and sad. I don't know if anyone who has seen the first one where two families are filmed, one where the mother is making it very difficult for the father to see his kids, she really angers me (plus she was on Dragon's Den and lied through her teeth there and played the whole single mother sympathy situation). I cannot understand how or why some women stop the children seeing their father (unless there is a very, very good reason eg: he is abusive to the children or poses a danger).

Anyhow it's a great programme and a great eye opener.

Advertisement