Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashes of light when eyes closed

Options
  • 31-03-2010 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭

Probably not the correct forum but here goes!

I was just wondering what the explanation is of a situation where you are lying in bed at night with your eyes closed and you hear a sudden noise. Upon hearing it your heart might 'skip a beat', this pretty much explains itself.

Another thing that might happen upon hearing the sudden noise is you see a flash of light or a flash of an image or shape, this while your eyes are still closed. When you open them following the noise the image is gone.

I was wondering what the process is that causes this?

The only reason i decided to ask is a particularly clear image i 'saw' the other night upon hearing a loud unexpected noise. I saw clear shapes, like thick 3D silver coloured stars or snowflakes, which took over the entire field of vision (still behind closed eyes) for half a second or so.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

synesthesia / phosphene ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

synesthesia / phosphene ?

... ...beat me to it! However, I'll be a proper git by saying that the British way of spelling it is synaesthesia (with the extra 'a').

Advertisement