Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christian Men & Women

Options
  • 31-03-2010 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I've heard a few say this before, and I sometimes ponder the truth of it myself, that, Women are more receptive of Jesus and the practice of their Christian/Catholic faith than men would be, have you yourself ever pondered this and would you rule it out to be a known fact?

If you think it is true, why do you think women are more receptive and practice/out number the men in their Christian faith? what do you think the reason is?

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Men use logic more often?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I've heard a few say this before, and I sometimes ponder the truth of it myself, that, Women are more receptive of Jesus and the practice of their Christian/Catholic faith than men would be, have you yourself ever pondered this and would you rule it out to be a known fact?

If you think it is true, why do you think women are more receptive and practice/out number the men in their Christian faith? what do you think the reason is?

Down my way it's about a 50/50 split (although the women seem more inclined towards the Charismatic side of things)

But assuming more women that men Christian then:

Supposing it true that arrival at Christ occurs through suffering brought about by our sin, it could be argued that women suffer more that men and so arrive at Christ in greater numbers. They have gotten the poo-end of the stick in many ways in many eras including our own.

Which might explain their favoring name it/claim it territory. Woman deprived of power might be inclined to seek after the power "brought about by the Spirit" as a way of 'righting' an imbalance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 M6

I think a large part of the problem (I'm screaming MAJOR in my head) is the breakdown of the Liturgy, whereby the mass becomes just a feel-good, community meal. Me looking at the priest looking at me, wishing me good morning, have a nice day, feel good fluff.........

Yeah basically the sense of mystery, the concept that we are actually supposed to be worshipping this amazing, Almighty god doesn't really figure highly. It's pretty much all horizontal community self-celebration. the vertical God-bit is sadly forgotten.

Men desire the mystery and wonder and awe of authentic Catholic worship. This has been lost in most places. Whilst the Masses are valid, they are dull, banal, uninspiring.... If only the Mass was celebrated as it is meant to be, i.e. in the rubrics and using the word Holy Church provides, then things would be a lot better, but we have an entire generation of priests who think they are free to dickie around with the liturgy as they please, which is disobedient and prideful at worst, and at best, ignorant.

The sense of the transcendant is all but gone in most places.

Men (I am one so I think I am typical) are not comfortable with the soft, pure community, laid back approach. I find it difficult to put into words what I am trying to say, but you could call it the emasculation of religion. This puts men off, pure and simple. I'm put off, but I have to make the most of what is available.

Cardinal Ratzinger's quote is below (part of an article which i will link to) and sums up part of the problem.
    I would be very surprised if there is a seminary in Britain today where future priests are not taught that the Mass is primarily a service provided for the people, in proclamation of the Word and celebration of the Supper. The solemn sacrifice has been transformed into the people’s picnic. Cardinal Ratzinger has expressed the same point even more forcefully:

I am convinced that the crisis in the Church that we are experiencing today is to a large extent due to the disintegration of the liturgy...in that it is a matter of indifference whether or not God exists and whether or not he speaks to us and hears us. But when the community of faith, the worldwide unity of the Church and her history, and the mystery of the living Christ are no longer visible in the liturgy, where else, then, is the Church to become visible in her spiritual essence? Then the community is celebrating only itself, an activity that is utterly fruitless. (Milestones, Ignatius Press, 1998).

http://www.latin-mass-society.org/themodernrite.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 M6

Plowman wrote: »

Not necessarily. You would have a different landscape if all the priests offered Holy Mass (in the ordinary form, i.e. the New Mass) as the Holy Church actually desires and specifies. This simply doesn't happen very often. Most priests think nothing of adding novelties and abuses to the Mass, ad libbing here and there and ignoring rubrics. They think they have the right and power to do so. It is an abuse and a sin, but most probably don't realise. The faithful have a right to Holy Mass as the Church specifies.

The Traditional Latin Mass had less room for messing. The New Mass is much more open to abuse. If you have ever been to a New Mass offered by a priest of Opus Dei, compare that to many of the Masses you see in parishes, and it could well be a different religion. The sense of reverence, awe, and the sense that something sacred is taking place, is tangible.

Vatican II called for a retention of Latin and Gregorian Chant with some vernacular where appropriate. What happened after the Council was not at all what was desired by the Council Fathers. Mass facing the people was not evisaged even in the rubrics of the New Mass. [Read about Ad Orientem here: http://www.adoremus.org/0405LiturgicalPrayer.html and here: http://www.catholicculture.org/news/features/index.cfm?recnum=55976 and here: http://te-deum.blogspot.com/2008/05/out-of-mouths-ofteens-ad-orientem.html ] A genuine liturgical renewal movement was hijacked, but now we are seeing progress made with the 'reform of the reform' led by Pope Benedict who has achieved much in a short time. In 2007, for example, Pope Benedict freed up use of the TLM for any priest, whilst the new translation of the Mass will be introduced in coming years to Ireland. It is more faithful to the Latin approved edition of the Roman Missal. Take a look here - the Irish translation will be the same or very similar to the American translation: http://www.usccb.org/romanmissal/

Pope Benedict has written of the placing of a Crucifix at centre of altar to provide a focus for the sacrifice of the Mass: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100021782/pope-wants-crucifix-at-the-centre-of-all-westward-facing-altars-during-mass-says-papal-mc-so-why-do-our-bishops-ignore-him/

I have not seen this too often, sadly. It's a big subject, but basically what we are looking at is more reverence and sense of the sacred at our Holy Masses. We need to bring back the holy.

I attach some examples of what to expect.

V
    V
    V

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Not the men I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

There are actually some interesting evolutionary theories as to why women, in general and across most religions, participate more than men (nothing to do with logic) and often appear more devout.

Not sure this is quite the direction that the OP is going for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Ah that may be so but women use wisdom more often...

Alot of men won't ask for help in their everyday lives, possibly they are conditioned into thinking it is weak to ask for help. For example, look at the difference between men and women where Doctors visits are concerned. Women are more likely to talk if they've a problem then men.
    The attitude of 'I don't need anyone's help I can do this all on my own' is far more prevalent in men than women and this I imagine can hinder the male journey with God.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Splendour wrote: »
    Ah that may be so but women use wisdom more often...

Alot of men won't ask for help in their everyday lives, possibly they are conditioned into thinking it is weak to ask for help. For example, look at the difference between men and women where Doctors visits are concerned. Women are more likely to talk if they've a problem then men.
    The attitude of 'I don't need anyone's help I can do this all on my own' is far more prevalent in men than women and this I imagine can hinder the male journey with God.

Very true. While we don't want to get into stereotypes, in our family the females are willing to stop and ask directions if they are lost, whereas I will stubbornly drive in the wrong direction for hours. :)

Advertisement