Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freeview issue please help

Options
  • 30-03-2010 9:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 131 ✭✭

hi guys im just wondering about the freeview that iv heard can be received in Ireland i bought a HD tv from little woods freeview enabled tv i think it means it has the reviver built into it my problem is now how do i go about obtaining the freeview to my tele do i need to get a sat dish or some type of Ariel i know peats electronics sells the box's and you have to buy the dish as well i dont want to be spending money on stuff i dont need can any body shed some light on this situation this is what it says for the tele

The built-in Freeview tuner gives you free-of-charge access to a variety of digital channels. yes for england but i want to receive them here any help
    thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 131 ✭✭anto kerr

any one...?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Hi Anto - firstly where in Dublin are you ? Freeview, the UK DTT service, can be received only as "overspill" from Wales and Northern Ireland, but it really depends where you are, if you're near the coast, in the City Centre, on high ground etc.
    Secondly what type of TV have you bought, model etc. The UK Freeview system is not the same as the one used in Ireland, so if you have the TV connected up, you will probably be able to receive sound only from RTE's DTT service on Three Rock or the TV may ignore it all together.
    If you were sold the TV on the basis of watching DTT in Ireland, then take it back.
    Freesat is a totally different system, which requires a dish and box. You could use the TV to watch it, but you'd need to buy the box and install the dish obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Freeview is not available in Dublin or for the majority of Ireland in general.

People along the coast of Wicklow/Wexford may pick it up from Wales as well as those in areas bordering Northern Ireland but the signal is just overflow and as such should not be depended upon.

If you want solid recption of free British channels get a satellite box or combo box.

SRB wrote: »
    Hi Anto - firstly where in Dublin are you ? Freeview, the UK DTT service, can be received only as "overspill" from Wales and Northern Ireland, but it really depends where you are, if you're near the coast, in the City Centre, on high ground etc.
    Secondly what type of TV have you bought, model etc. The UK Freeview system is not the same as the one used in Ireland, so if you have the TV connected up, you will probably be able to receive sound only from RTE's DTT service on Three Rock or the TV may ignore it all together.
    If you were sold the TV on the basis of watching DTT in Ireland, then take it back.
    Freesat is a totally different system, which requires a dish and box. You could use the TV to watch it, but you'd need to buy the box and install the dish obviously.

im based in marino i have all the ntl basic channels utv sky 1 bbc etc the tv said freeview ready on it as you were saying its different in ireland so ill have to buy an irish box and dish the guy in peats electronics wasnt very helpfull for my situation didint know anything about them he was just selling them do you know of any that you could reccomend that will actually work in recieveing the extra channels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

anto kerr wrote: »
    im based in marino i have all the ntl basic channels utv sky 1 bbc etc the tv said freeview ready on it as you were saying its different in ireland so ill have to buy an irish box and dish the guy in peats electronics wasnt very helpfull for my situation didint know anything about them he was just selling them do you know of any that you could reccomend that will actually work in recieveing the extra channels

He shouldn't be selling them then ! If you bought the TV expecting to watch freeview and he knew that's why you bought it, then you can ask for your money back, you've been mis-sold the TV. He may not like it, but that's the law and you can take action against him for mis-selling the TV.

Freeview cannot be received on a dish. It is broadcast on the UK terristrial TV transmitter networks in the UK and is a UK service.
    Irish DTT is broadcast in the same way, using land based transmitters, but uses MPEG 4 rather than MPEG 2. At present it only carries RTE1, 2, RTE News Now and TG4, but is still a "test service"

FREESAT is a UK service which is made up from most of the free to air (non subscription) channels aimed at the UK sat market. Any free to air box and dish will pick these channels up, Freesat does have it's own EPG and some of it's boxes interface with the BBC I Player, but if you're just after the free channels any box will do. (Though you won't get the EPG, just now and next info on 99.9% of these.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

anto kerr wrote: »

You will get rid of NTL when you see that the basic channels are actually free with one of these boxes (and yes it is legal) - €169.

http://www.saortv.com/shop/digital-tv-receivers/combo/edision-argus-mini-2-in-1-ip-combo-hd-satellite/dtt-receiver/prod_72.html

You will need a satellite dish - €49 from power city. And a small indoor aerial will work in marino for the DTT part.

Here is a list of the channels you receive for free:
    http://www.saortv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=392

STB wrote: »
    You will get rid of NTL when you see that the basic channels are actually free with one of these boxes (and yes it is legal) - €169.

http://www.saortv.com/shop/digital-tv-receivers/combo/edision-argus-mini-2-in-1-ip-combo-hd-satellite/dtt-receiver/prod_72.html

You will need a satellite dish - €49 from power city. And a small indoor aerial will work in marino for the DTT part.

Here is a list of the channels you receive for free:
    http://www.saortv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=392

thanks alot thats brilliant the amount a channels that box can recive ill definitly buying one of those boxs

Advertisement