Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

When is best time to buy airline tickets?

• 30-03-2010 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ johnmacward

My family and I are off to Albania in August. We booked flights on Saturday and got the tickets for €474 each. Today we re-checked again and they were €409. Also ebookers.ie Visa card charge disappeared today? It was €25 on Saturday and €0.15 today.

So in general, when's the best time to buy tickets (is there a particular day in the week?) and what is the story with the Visa charge changing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ hargo

ebookers seem to be more expensive at the weekend for flights and .ie is more expensive than .com from flights i've checked with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ johnmacward

Nice one, thanks for the advice. I'll check out the .com site now and see if there's a difference. The damn problem is we've booked the tickets, but it might actually work out cheaper to cancel (and pay penalties) and re-book. I doubt they like that but they bring it on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭ cson

Most people think about booking or do book holidays from Friday - Sat - Sun -Mon. Thus, the prices are generally more expensive on these days. It's not as pronounced here [but is noticeable - maybe 10%] but in the USA you're advised to book on Tuesdays and Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ johnmacward

What bastards, unfortunately the tickets are booked now and cancelling will incur a 50% reduction on each ticket refund and a €45 administration charge per ticket. Today the prices are in aroun €380, a €100 reduction from the weekend. That's enormous and it makes me sick to my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭ killbillvol2

Shop around!

ebookers.ie can be particularly expensive. I booked flights to Japan last year with ebookers.fr and it was €300 cheaper than with ebookers.ie. (Exact same flights).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭✭ Need2Know4Sure

Hmm. Thats a bit strange. Ive only really know the price of flights to go up.
    Most airlines have x amount of seats at a set price. When that demand is met the price tends to increase.

I really dont think booking on a certain day of the week makes any differences but i could be wrong.

Research, Research, Research before buying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,105 Stinicker

If you do Hotel and flights together ebookers can be great value, except don't dream of trying to change anything as they are very Ryanairesque in this.

Advertisement