Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to eat/go for drinks in Navan

Options
  • 30-03-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

hi there I am coming to Navan with a group of people I work with at the end of June on a Thursday night. Sort of a team night away. So just looking for suggestions for where to go for dinner and names of nice bars to go to on a Thursday night? For dinner we might like to go for an early bird option. Also if going to a bar after dinner maybe you could suggest a bar where they might reserve an area for approx 10 people but this isnt very important!!

Thanks a mill!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

The Russell restaurant in Navan does a great early bird menu, followed by The Palace bar and nightclub which is situated next door to the Russell.

And there is plenty of parking at the Fair Green which is 2 minutes walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

What's Zuccini's Restaurant meant to be like?

Another great restaurant, a bit out of town - has a greater choice in the Early Bird menu than the Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

What kelle failed to mention is that the Russell is VERY expensive. But having said that, you pay for what you get. Very nice restaurant.

Zuccini's is nice but it's not the place you'd go before a few drinks. It's a fair walk from any pub.

I was only there for Early Bird's and found them reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

If you fancy the taxi ride, Brogans in Trim is worth a look, they do an early bird up to 7.30pm for around €20.00 per head

Looking for nice reasonably priced restaurant to go to at around 7.30 on the Thursday evening! Would prefer it to be close enough to a couple of good bars. So any more suggestions for restaurants...and bars?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

whats the restaurant beside the Mercy convent like or is the loft better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I am from Trim and I reckon that you would be stone mad to get a taxito Trim and back to go to Brogans. It is under new management and the food is certainly very good with better service than under the previous regime. However there are enough good places in Navan to negate the need to gat a taxi to Trim.

The Russell is nice and so is Zucchinis which as was said is beter value. Give the Russell a call, they may throw in a bottle of wine or two for a group. Afterwards go across the road to Berminghams, one of the best pubs in this or any other town. And, later on you can then hit the Palace.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 loulah

i work up the road from O'Briens in Johnstown which is always good and has a bar although you would have to get a taxi into town if you wanted a nightclub. Zuchinis is also nice, if you fancy indian coopers and spice is good. I used to be a regular in the russell but it has gone very downhill in recent months and it is very expensive for what you get. Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

shannon82 wrote: »
    whats the restaurant beside the Mercy convent like or is the loft better?

Haven't been to the loft, but Gaylord Tandoori beside the Mercy is nice. Good food, friendly staff. The place settings could be a little better (paper napkins and tablecloth) but other than that I can't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ms Inquisitive

The Loft is very expensive for what you get.
    The Russell 'early-bird' is very reasonable, there isn't a huge choice but you're guaranteed to have something on the small menu that everyone likes!

+1 the Palace bar, after dinner. They'll happily reserve an area for you and may even throw in a bottle of wine or two.

The China Garden is top notch aswell and very good value!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Knights (is that how you spell it?) is a nice pub. Not so sure what it's like during the week but it's a great night on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

I would defiitely recommend The Loft, the food is lovely, it's not the quitest so it's perfect for a group and it's right in the centre of town. Can't go wrong, apart from it might be slightly more expensive than some other restaurants.

have decided to choose between The Loft and Zucchini's.....anyone any preference? The early bird in The Loft is 2 courses plus tea/coffee 22.50, 3 courses 25 quid. Then Zucchinis have 2 courses for 18.95 or 3 courses for 22.95. not sure which one to go to....we will be going for few drinks after dinner....is Zucchini's too far away from good pubs to walk from? Would we have to get taxi? Any suggestions of where to go for drinks also welcome! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hipster2009

Scruff101 wrote: »
    have decided to choose between The Loft and Zucchini's.....anyone any preference? The early bird in The Loft is 2 courses plus tea/coffee 22.50, 3 courses 25 quid. Then Zucchinis have 2 courses for 18.95 or 3 courses for 22.95. not sure which one to go to....we will be going for few drinks after dinner....is Zucchini's too far away from good pubs to walk from? Would we have to get taxi? Any suggestions of where to go for drinks also welcome! Thanks!

def need taxi but would still go for zuccinis. :)

Have decided to go to the Loft for dinner...so where should we go for drinks after....it will be a Thursday night! Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I prefer Marini's to the Loft. Been to the Loft three times, defo not going back.

http://www.marinirestaurant.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Your not going to have to reserve space on a thursday night in a bar. As your coming from the loft Ryans is usually a busy enough spot and is very spacious. Then again O'Flahertys is only across from the loft and is a grand pub (not sure how busy it'd be though).
    Smiths on the square is an excellent choice if you are smokers or the weather is nice because the bar is tiny but the beer garden is quite big. I think they often have a one man acoustic on that night (not definite).

All in all you cant go too far wrong in the pubs between the loft and the palace. Ill just hightlight 3 more. Louchrans is a favourite of mine for jukebox and pool table but it can have a rough crowd. Berminghams is quaint but TINY. Worth checking out for novelty and Everards is one to skip.

Your final destination will most likely be the palace bar/night club. They often have a decent to good band on around 10pm and if youre in the bar before closing you can slip up to the club free. Be aware the pub charges club prices though but if youre comin from Dublin you'll probably figure theyre cheap :D

Advertisement