Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using my domain with gmail

Options
  • 30-03-2010 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I want to use mydomain.com with gmail. I've setup the apps account. I now need to setup the MX records.

I currently have the nameservers for my domain pointed at a cpanel account with provider A. My domain is hosted with provider B.

I know that I can setup MX records with provider A but this will mean that if provider A has problems then my email won't function - is this correct?

If I opt to manage my DNS from provider B, what extras do I need to setup to ensure my hosting continues to work with provider A.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I'm not fully sure what you're asking with your last line - but in terms of the bit in bold, your email is always going to be vulnerable to your mail server (and backup mail server, if you have one) going down, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

For example:

-- Domain hosted with Enom (DNS hosted with Enom)
    -- Hosting with Blacknight
    -- Email with Google Apps

If the hosting goes down will it effect my email?
    If Enom has problems will it effect everything?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Well in that case, seems to me that your email could still work fine even if your site was down.

It's a question of making sure that your DNS records are in order so that other mail servers know where to route your mail. So with Enom (their nameservers control your domain), you'll have an A record pointing towards your Blacknight IP and an MX record directing the mail for @domain.com to whatever the mail server is.

But trouble with your A record, or with the site itself, shouldn't affect the MX record - your mail will only rely on Enom's nameservers being functional (and your mail server obviously).

Advertisement