Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery - Where to go

Options
  • 30-03-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hi,

I know this topic has probably been done to death but I'm trying to decide where to go for laser eye surgery.

I've been to Optical Express for a consultation and left feeling quite impressed. I could get intralase lasik with the 2nd most senior surgeon in the company as he will be in Dublin in the right timeframe for me. But then I did a bit of research and found a few complaints about their aftercare & customer service.

I have an appointment with Optilase this weekend but they don't offer Intralase - which reduces the risk of flap complications. So although they may have a better customer service record - is there a higher risk by not availing of Intralase?

I have a consultation booked with Ultralase but their surgery dates aren't great and I've heard that they have gone into administration.

Can anybody offer any insight into their experiences with laser eye surgery?

The other options would be Wellington Eye Clinic, Blackrock or Mater Private. However, I know someone who had theirs done in the Mater Private and while he said the service was good, he was not happy with his results. So I'm not sure if there is any added benefit to paying more for these clinics

I'd be grateful for any advice anyone can offer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

I went to Optical Express and found them fine and I went there as my sister had her eyes done there. Price was a bit offputting at €4600 without VHI discount and €3910 with them. Had a look around but tried OptiMax UK as my sister in law had her eye done by them over 15 years ago. Have appointment booked for this Friday in their Belfast clinic and there price was £3770 but there are currently doing a special and offered both eyes wavefront-Intralase-LasIK which is what I want to get done due to the no blade thing. Will post my experience once I get back on Friday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kellzer

Anyone see the new ads on the telly for Optical Express with Padraig Harrington endorsing them. Thought that was a great endorsement until I saw on the Wellington Eye Clinic site (located in the Beacon Hospital) that he got his eyes done there! Bit of a lie if you ask me. I know it sounds stupid but if Harrington trusts a place with his eyes then I’d trust them too. Bit disappointing that he’s betraying peoples trust on this ad if you ask me. Im kinda nervous about getting my eyes done and it put my mind at ease to be going to the same place that a pro golfer like him with buckets of money at his disposal that could get his eyes fixed anywhere in the world went. Think Il be checkin out the Wellington clinic now even thou they’re more expensive! Don’t know how this isn’t false advertising thou!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

That's odd. I seem to recall that The Wellington Eye Clinic was founded by a surgeon in Wellington Road, Ballsbridge, Frank Lavery. I think he sold his business and name and was rebranded out to the Beacon. And then Frank Lavery became a surgeon in Wellington Road for Optical Express ! So maybe he carried out Padraig's surgery but is now one of the consultants for Optical Express ? Aviva health give 30% off Optical Express - that's about €670 for both eyes for lasek, which is the procedure that most people have got done over the years. It was over £4k years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    I went to Optical Express and found them fine and I went there as my sister had her eyes done there. Price was a bit offputting at €4600 without VHI discount and €3910 with them. Had a look around but tried OptiMax UK as my sister in law had her eye done by them over 15 years ago. Have appointment booked for this Friday in their Belfast clinic and there price was £3770 but there are currently doing a special and offered both eyes wavefront-Intralase-LasIK which is what I want to get done due to the no blade thing. Will post my experience once I get back on Friday evening

Sorry for the delay lads. Well my experience with Optimax was a good one thank goodness. They were very professional and I wasn't left with the feeling like I was in the way, this was the feeling I got at OE where I asked if the person doing the consult was actually there because I was waiting so long. Once I got through the door the lady that I was talking to greeted me, obviously the accent was a give away, and had all consultation and eye tests carried out within an hour and a half. Booked into get the surgery on the 26th April and will stay over to get my next day consult. Hopefully all goes well. Will update once I have the surgery. And one final thing the RRP for the wavefront-Intralase-LasIK in UK with Optimax is £3770 but got a discount to £2395. Makes paying €4600 without VHI and €3910 with VHI seem a little more expensive. Anyway thanks for reading and talk to you soon with hopefully a good story.

W

• Registered Users Posts: 17 arbeloa

I am dismayed that Harrington has got involved with these ads. His surgery didn't go so well anyway. I believe he went to Optical Express first and then later to the Wellington to rectify the damage. If anything these golfers are reason why people should not do laser surgery. It's well documented on the internet and by Tiger Woods himself that he had two surgeries on his eyes due to regression.
    Of course they can see well now but their surgeries didn't go smoothly (we don't know how much time away from golf they had) and they don't know what's around the corner either.
    I had LASIK surgery done approximately 15 months ago and I'm still suffering with dry eyes and large floaters. It has been a disaster for me. I am hoping to form a group for people whose eyes have been ruined by this. So for people in a similar position my email is <snip>
    Remember if the surgery was so safe then there would be no need to sign a consent form. The complications on the consent form are there because they have happened to people before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 microfinance

Well I must say I have been very happy with my experience. The only drawbacks are you cant play any contact sports for a month afterwords and you cant exercise for a week. You cant wear contacts for a week before the surgery and you cant wear eye make up for a week after. (Im a girl by the way. so wearing eye make now whenever i want is brilliant!) I got mine done with Optical Express, had the consultation in Mahon Point, Cork and the actual surgery , in Newbridge, Co. Kildare. I am nearly 1 month post surgery now and its brilliant, back football training at the moment and delighted with the results!I still suffer from dry eyes at the moment but that is to be expected for another few months. I was -3 so it has made a huge difference to my life not needing to wear glasses and contacts. Also been able to go out on a night out and enjoy waking up the next morning without sore sticky eyes! Also if you want i can give u a voucher that gives you 150 off the cost of treatment with optical express, just PM me or reply on this thread. also be happy to answer any questions you have!

Advertisement