Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Outlook Express messages.

Options
  • 30-03-2010 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm querying this for a friend and I no longer have OE installed on my machine :). I'm just wondering about managing Outlook Express messages.

If I follow this tutorial i'll be left with a load of .dbx files, right.

Can I just move these to the correct "store" folder on the new machine with Outlook Express and I will have access to them again?

I remember from googleing a while back there was no easy way to convert these to outlook? Is this still the case?

Thanks.

Comments

You can copy the backed up message store to the new store with no problems (it will overwrite any existing messages on that machine, if any). The only thing is that this doesn't save any e-mail account information so you will need to recreate that yourself.

Importing the messages into Outlook under XP shouldn't be an issue but it can be messy under Vista and 7. In Vista you'd have to import them into Windows Mail first and then import again to Outlook. In Windows 7 I think you'd need to download Windows Live Mail, import to there and then go from Windows Live Mail to Outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

Ok, Thanks.

The new machine will be Win 7 and will be moving to Outlook.

So those files are definately compatible with Windows mail and any new variants of OE then?

Thanks.

If you download and install Windows Live Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird you can use your backed up store. However you must specifically import it rather than copying it in. You can only copy it if using Outlook Express (which isn't an option on Vista or 7).

Advertisement