Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP slowing down

Options
  • 30-03-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have a Compaq laptop (about 4 years old) and it has had a lot of **** put onto it over the past few years and is starting to slow down etc..

I'd like to reinstall Windows XP from scratch on it...if I was to do this, I assume all drivers\wireless\etc stay working ok?? If I have to reinstall everything again after windows is installed its not worth the hassle.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

there are utils to export drivers , someone may know them

reinstalling over the top may not speed problems caused by software bloat , one old example is Openview, once it goes on you registry gets streched ans stays that way even after you uninstall it, all progs scan the reg when they start, so a permanent slow down :(

Try ccleaner / malware scans too

try msconfig to stop junk on startup

uninstall anything you really don't need (this can take interactive time and only a small chance will work f you've rounded up the usual suspects.)

AV autoscan
    skupe
    drivers for hardware you no longer use like printers

Advertisement