Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 320D judder when moving off?

Options
  • 30-03-2010 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else here own one of these, and do you find that you have to rev it quite a bit (more than you'd expect) to move off smoothly?

I find that unless I pull off at heigh revs, there is quite a bit of judder/jerkyness?

Is this a characteristic of the car, or should I be worried?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Funny. I've a Passat 1.9 Diesel and was about to post up a similar post with similar symptoms. It's doesn't shudder once the car warms up though and only started a few weeks ago. I'll be interested to see the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Shouldn't be like that, i'd suspect the clutch/DMF.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Do the BMWs run DMFs too? I dont seem to hear so many problems as with vw, toyota etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I'm not aware of any modern diesel that doesn't have a DMF.

I'd agree with Anan1, definitely the DMF is starting to cause(expensive) trouble, if the car is still under warranty then the OP shouldn't have to pay for it, even by modern diesel standards 2 years is way too short for a DMF unless the car has been to the moon and back.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Shouldn't be like that, i'd suspect the clutch/DMF.

I got mine replaced last year under warranty as I had the usual clutch/flywheel issue one gets on the Passat. This shudder is different though. The whole car shakes. When the fly wheel went, it was more of a rattle and obviously felt it in my left foot. With the current issue, days will go by and I don't get the shudder at all. Just the odd day I get it. Is there such thing as a serious diesel knock maybe??!!

As a matter of interest, what is the warranty on a clutch?

PS Sorry to thread high jack OP but I think we've the same problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Failing engine mounts could also contribute to a shudder on take-off. I assume the BMW at least is still under warranty?

I may have found the problem for you OP and myself....... Transmission mounts anyone?

Here's a thread I found that describes the problem. Thank god it doesn't look like too much of a job!

Edit: Thanks Anan1. Just in before me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

I'm not aware of any modern diesel that doesn't have a DMF.

I'd agree with Anan1, definitely the DMF is starting to cause(expensive) trouble, if the car is still under warranty then the OP shouldn't have to pay for it, even by modern diesel standards 2 years is way too short for a DMF unless the car has been to the moon and back.

The car has just under 80k on the clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

mickdw wrote: »
    Do the BMWs run DMFs too? I dont seem to hear so many problems as with vw, toyota etc

Yes even the petrol models.

Advertisement