Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Eve Frig\Assault Ship Pvp

Options
  • 30-03-2010 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

So I'm starting to venture in to pvp.. high sec stuff so... can flipping is my method to start a fight... so I'm usually on the end of an individual or small fleet.. so far all losses..but I'm learning....each engagement has helped me improve...Almost got a Dramiel kill last night had him into hull with T1 setup. Until his support arrived and rep'd him back to full health and I popped :(

So I finally got to full T2 on my rifter and its doubled my dps.. so looking forward to getting my full T2 fifter out for some trouble asap... So my next step is assault ship... I've been looking at the Jaguar and the Wolf from minmatar... I was wondering will it offer much of a boost in survivability and dps.. If so does anyone have a proven build for some solo pvp. The cost and fitting is considerably higher than the rifter so want to know is it really worth it!

Also any opinions on other races assault ships?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Jag is the best assault ship in my opinion, I use a dual propulsion fit that makes it almost impossible for you to get held down.

Depending on your fitting skills and t2 skills I would just recommend fitting this
    (t2 or Meta 3/4 where you can)

Lows:
    • Damage Control
    • Gyrostab
    • Micro Aux Power Core
    Mids:
    • Medium shield extender
    • Microwarp
    • Afterburner
    • Warp Scrambler (I tried a disrupter but with the scram you can get away from scrambling ships by using the AB and your own scram)

Highs:
    • 150 Autocannons (Bring EMP for general use, Barrage for Dramiels and other faster frigs, and Titanium sabot for ships that try to out track you)
    • 1 small Neut <--- if you can fit it , leave it out first in place of anything else

Dramiels and Daredevils and long range inties can be a problem if they are good at manual flying , but for the most part you can get away by waiting for there orbit to get behind you and pulsing a overloaded MWD .

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

An assault frig is definitely more survivable than a rifter, but if you're worried about the cost then it could affect your decision making in a fight. Generally if you can't afford to lose it, don't pvp in it. That said, you shouldn't have a problem earning enough isk to keep yourself in t2 frigates if you have the skills to fly them. Level 2 missions (some level 3 will be too tough for a tanked AF) or low sec ratting are two ways to do it.

As for what t2 ship to fly as a pvp beginner, an interceptor is worth a look as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Just remember that in a T2 potential targets are less likely to engage.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Wookster76

Iskis not a problem running lvl4's with about 1.3bill in the wallet.. so not really worried.

I can fit full T2 on the Jag so I'll check out the fit on eft later to see if I can fit everything...

GO_Bear :- You dont active tank the jag then? and no web either?
    At what distance do you orbit when you engage? Any other advie on Frig combat

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Wookster76 wrote: »
    GO_Bear :- You dont active tank the jag then? and no web either?
    At what distance do you orbit when you engage? Any other advie on Frig combat

Ye i rarely active tank in a frig, with the medium shield extender and 2 core defense field extenders you have a generous buffer, You will outlast most other frigates , and with the small neut , and great dps ( with EMP you will melt caldari active tanking frigs, also mini as you might know are bascially like missile users with a short range high damage ammo of each of the four types, EMP,Fusion,Carbonised and phased?)

With the after burner you can all but ignore anything that fires missiles larger then Standard at you, Use the MWD to get into range of targets then hit the scram , and turn on your after burner and get into a low orbit , with them scrammed it will be very hard for them to get good transversal on you as with the AB you move quicker then most AB frigates ( this is why the dramiel is a problem as it often has a Web as well as an AB , but with skills and Barrage you can normally spook him into popping out of web range )

For other advise, all I can say is don't overshoot on the approach, If you get into range of a dramiel or other inty with a AB and web overload your guns and hope to drop him before he burns out, When engaging larger ships always drop drones first and avoid Stabbers, Ruptures, small hybrid Thoraxes, Assult missile caracals and anything that might have a neut ( however if you want you can stick in a small NOS instead of neut to keep your Scrambler going to stop them from getting transversal up)

If you are unsure , test the water , fly to within 15 of the caracal and see if he has heavy or light missiles, Pull away from a Vexor and pop his drones first ( they will most likely stay if they have drones in the water), When engaging a larger fleet of frigates, Warp in at a hundred and let the faster ones come out to you first , stay within 150 of the main group and drop them as they enter range.

Faction warfare plexes are a great place to make money , people often bring there Faction fit Stealth bombers to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

if you're starting to venture into pvp to the point where you have not even got a kill yet then you are making a mistake by doing it in assault ships that cost 20 mil a pop, fit out 20 rifters for 1.5 mil each and use them to get a few kills, or if you're can flipping why not use a bellicose with small guns and a 1600 plate or something? its cheaper and people are infinately more likely to engage a bellicose than a jaguar

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Wookster76

I'm going to continue in the rifter for some time yet... just starting the training for the assault ships. I've been out in a rupture as well but have yet to be engaged... I find the rifter has better luck getting some action... thus far my engaments have been close.. and normally the fact I've been out numbered has resulted in the losses. Still havent had a 1v1 fight yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

1v1 doesn't exist in EVE. My best advise is join a PvP corp. Faction war corps are probably the best because they're always roaming and it's more or less in Empire space so getting replacement ships shouldn't be as difficult as it can be in 0.0 or lowsec. Many FW corps will also replace ships up to cruiser class if you put the time and effort in for them. Another option is pirating but most pirates have pretty low sec status and can't go into Empire space so just keep that in mind. If you just want to learn how to PvP and fight in small-medium gangs then definately do some FW for a few months.

Learning PvP on your own can be very frustrating so I wouldn't advise it. Many good PvPers will happily give you advise on the best ships/fittings so you don't lose so much ISK learning the ropes.

Advertisement