Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which mobile phone network is a mobile number on ?

Options
  • 30-03-2010 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi - is there any way you can tell which mobile network someone's number is on - I'm looking at a plan where I have unlimited calls to anyone in my network (O2) - but not to numbers on other networks (Vodaphone, Meteor, Three, Tesco).

Any ideas ?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

BaseF wrote: »
    Hi - is there any way you can tell which mobile network someone's number is on - I'm looking at a plan where I have unlimited calls to anyone in my network (O2) - but not to numbers on other networks (Vodaphone, Meteor, Three, Tesco).

Any ideas ?
    Thanks.

You can tell which number a mobile was originally assigned to. O2 is 086, but not all 086 numbers remain on O2. Similarly, some non-086 numbers will be on O2.

I don't know of a way to tell for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

You cant tell what network the user has switched to but in general I think you can tell they have switched by if you ring them you should hear a beep before the call is connected.

Actually an easy way to tell is to ring there msg minder. just stick a 5 into the number and you should get it 08x 5 xxxxxxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

That doesn't seem to work with Meteor numbers.

Actually, it does (you'll still know it's a Meteor number) you just can't leave a message. It's very frustrating. It doesn't seem to work with 3 at all either. Haven't had to try it with Tesco mobile.

(source: sh*tty f*ckin job where you spend all day harassing people on the phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mayfire

BaseF wrote: »

Any ideas ?
    Thanks.

I had the same problem on Vodafone and figured it this way.
    I signed up to €20 pm and with that get free calls and texts to Vodafone and 100 free texts and 100 free minutes to other networks.
    When I got my bill I went through every number I rang and texted and it said
    "086 *****, Vodafone to Vodafone free" so I knew that number was Vodafone; then I saw
    "087 *****, Vodafone to 02" 9 cent per text. (This only applied if I went over my bundle limit).
    It took an evening but I found out who was on what network from the call I make most often.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BaseF

Thanks everyone. Great tips.

Advertisement