Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in Galway?

Options
  • 30-03-2010 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi there!
    I'll be in Galway in 10 days and I'd like to know about the weather in this period.
    I saw the weather forecast and It's still cold there! I though I could see Connemara with a lot of flowers and blossoms but it seems that spring is still far from Ireland...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

It's been lovely and sunny here for the last week or so, just bad cold weather for the last two days. Lots of daffodils out around the place, has been nice and Spring-y for the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The weather is very changeable and unpredictable. Be prepared for plenty of rain, but also expect some warm spells.
    http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/EIXX0017
    11.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Keep in mind that depending on where you're from, Ireland doesn't experience what I used to term as "spring weather" until late May, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Whatever the forecast don't forget to bring your rain gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lamacchi

Xiney wrote: »
    Keep in mind that depending on where you're from, Ireland doesn't experience what I used to term as "spring weather" until late May, if at all.

In these days we have 18-19 C. degrees here in Italy ... I came to Ireland at the beginning of March last year and I had 1 sunny day, 1 windy and rainy day and the last day it snowed.... I'll bring my rain coat and some warm sweaters.... And maybe I'll change the plan to go to Inishmore... maybe the sea will be too rough!
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

Definitely bring lots of warm sweaters - but also some long sleeved t-shirts that can be worn as a base layer. This will keep the cold, wet air from getting at you through the sweater. Fleece are really good too.

Don't forget to have shoes that are at least a bit resistant to water - nothing makes me more miserable than being stuck in a pair of cold, wet socks. And when I'm miserable everyone within earshot is too. :o

It was 3 degrees yesterday at 4pm. Miserable! Even the dog, who's supposed to have a double fur coat, gave me a look of disbelief when I brought him outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There's no way to predict the weather in Galway. As soon as they forecast rain the sun comes out and visa versa.

It is unnaturally cold the whole time now, we're getting some nice spells of sunshine but it's still fairly cold. Good for taking photos, they'll look lovely as long as there's no people in it to show just how cold it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lamacchi

Xiney wrote: »
    Definitely bring lots of warm sweaters - but also some long sleeved t-shirts that can be worn as a base layer. This will keep the cold, wet air from getting at you through the sweater. Fleece are really good too.

Don't forget to have shoes that are at least a bit resistant to water - nothing makes me more miserable than being stuck in a pair of cold, wet socks. And when I'm miserable everyone within earshot is too. :o

It was 3 degrees yesterday at 4pm. Miserable! Even the dog, who's supposed to have a double fur coat, gave me a look of disbelief when I brought him outside.

Definitely freezing... I understand your dog! I've been to Ireland 4 times before but never in april but I understood that the weather and the temperature are similar to which I found in march last year... I'll have to wear the clothes that I usually wear here in November... And gorotex shoes of course...
    Thanks a lot for your advise!

Actually that's a good point - overcast skies are often better for cityscape pictures than full sun since the latter amplifies the shadows and drowns details.... just stick 'em in b&w and up the contrast a bit and they'll look fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Out here we had a horrible day yesterday, rain, gales and cold with it. The wind eased a bit since yesterday, but it's supposed to pick up again. There's also a lot less rain today.

We got snow on the hills at the moment, and as of yesterday morning it was predicted that the cold/wet/windy period will last the next 7/8 days.

>This< is a Connacht specific weather forecast site.

As above, layering is a good idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement