Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need some advice re: upgrading my motor

Options
  • 30-03-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Sorry to do this but I don't really know much about motors so im just gonna splurge out what I'm thinking and see if anyone better informed can help me make a decision.

Currently drive a 97 BMW 316i, great car (sorry to sound geeky but its just beautiful engineering and was a pleasure to drive) I loved it but its fairly battered at this stage and bits are pretty much falling off so need to upgrade. Not a fan of buying new as I always thought the depreciation on new models was a joke - however looking at the scrappage allowances on new cars at the moment I would be open to rethinking this.

Have a budget topping out at €8-10k but would review this up to €12/13k for that something special :) I drive between 7 and 12k miles a year so not much.

In terms of personal taste I really like later than 02 Audi A4's, later than 04 Volvo S40's, and BMW 320/316/318's so these have been what ive been looking at mostly. One thing that's s putting me off is that me and the GF are still both young and kid free so there no need for a saloon and the €460 per year road tax on my 1.6L 316i was a killer to fork out.

For his reason ive also been looking at getting a new SEAT Leon or maybe a Hyundai i30 as they seem to have a great spec and are very nicely priced for a new car, i30 isnt exactly a looker though, while the Leon is but is a bit pricy for me.

Couple of quick questions so I guess, for the type of saloon/coupes ive highlighted above would I be better going to the UK?
    Would I be better going for diesel or petrol models?
    For the new cars is the Leon a decent reliable car? I never heard anything about Leons

Any other suggestions for me?

Thanks for reading

Advertisement