Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Car Loan Query

Options
  • 30-03-2010 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hey all,

I hope to be purchasing a car in the next few weeks and was looking for some advice in going about getting a car loan.

Some basic info.
    I'm 18. I am a college student. Working part time at the moment. Will be working full time for 10 weeks over the summer then back to part time work after this. I have 3000 euro already saved and would be looking to get a 4000 euro car loan over 48 months. My account is with AIB and have had one there for the last 5 years.

So would you reckon I would be successful in getting a car loan from AIB?

Or should I ask for a student loan instead?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated;) Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Have you checked that you will be able to afford the repayments?
    €4000 over 48 months is approx €104 per month.
    You can apply online or over the phone and see what they say..

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Sorry for got to mention that. Yes I would be able to afford the repayments. I was just kind of wondering what the success rate would be for a person my age looking for that amount:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Have you ever had a loan or a credit card before, and how long have you been working in your current place? Are you in a permanent position or a contract one?

No I have never had a loan or credit card before which I guess wouldnt help me.:rolleyes:

I've been working in the same place since may last lear. Its permanent employment, not contract:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Stall the ball there.
    You are looking to buy a 7k car? (4 loan plus 3 saved?) and put your self into debt?
    You are way better off using your 3k to buy a small 1L car and then getting your tax and insurance also.
    You are more than likely going to have a few scrapes and accidents as an 18 year old driving a year or so.

• Advertisement

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Stall the ball there.
    You are looking to buy a 7k car? (4 loan plus 3 saved?) and put your self into debt?
    You are way better off using your 3k to buy a small 1L car and then getting your tax and insurance also.
    You are more than likely going to have a few scrapes and accidents as an 18 year old driving a year or so.

Yes debt does not bother me to be honest.
    This will be my second car. My first car was a 1.4l and worth around 2k so I now want to move on from that. I have been driving for just about 2 years. (I turn 19 in May) I have never even tipped a car going into a parking space or anything like that. Obviously I not saying that nothing will happen or anything but please dont assume that I will have a few scrapes or accidents.
    I also feel that having a car that value will make me take even more care with it then I did with my last. :D

Advertisement