Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The really old sweetshop" New Shop Balbriggan

Options
  • 30-03-2010 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

My inner child squealed with excitement when I saw this place getting outfitted today (it's almost opposite Charlie Corrs)

I have visions of large jars of Apple drops etc, hope I'm not disappointed.

Anyone have any more info ? ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

From what I have heard, you are on the right train of thought! Yippeee!! :D
    Sweeties by the quarter, jars of stuff of wonderful colours like jewels....... sounds great.
    I miss Reynolds for all that, or the Tubby's (oh, and his cheese was the best! never found anything as nice since, maybe it was due to the dirt, but regardless I loved it!).
    I hope it takes off and goes well - its nice to see something other than a takeaway opening! (although its still not good for the waistline!:()

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭qpd

yep, it's going to be great... paddy 'wonka' brosnan himself of doggy doos fame is behind it - no better man! We need more enjoyable businesses around Balbriggan :)

Should be getting details in your door in the next few days, we tried printing them on edible paper but our secretary kept scoffing them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Oooooh! I shall be taking a spin up to Balbriggan!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 MSmum

Haha I saw him going in and out of the Sweet Shop but just thought he was very excited about it opening!!!
    Ah for a quarter of Rhubarb and Custard........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

Yum thanks for this. I wonder will they stock Fizzlesticks. Although I doubt it as I haven't managed to find them anywhere.

• Advertisement

I wonder will they stock Fizzlesticks.
    interrogated him about my own favourites... he says the policy is if he doesn't have it and it can be got then he'll get it in
    (mmm fizzy lifting drinks... or did I imagine those??)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

am very excited cant wait to pay the shop a visit,

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

Excellent - will support this venture. Is it run in conjunction with local dentists to drum up some business? :D Lent can't finish quick enough

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Could someone please clarify - is it a "really old shop" that will sell
    sweets, or is it a new shop that will it simply sell "really old sweets"?:)

nah, murtagh's had that market sewn up :)

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Could someone please clarify - is it a "really old shop" that will sell
    sweets, or is it a new shop that will it simply sell "really old sweets"?:)
    its an old shop, refitted, new business, with new sweets that are sold in an old fashioned way! :p
    really old sweets wouldn't taste very nice! like the ones you'd find in the end of your school bag back in the day! you always had to have a lick of it just to be sure, but it always tasted of pencil shavings and fluff! lol

Its due to open later to day i was told!!! Will be heading down the town later to get.........milk, yes milk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

really old sweets wouldn't taste very nice! like the ones you'd find in the end of your school bag back in the day! you always had to have a lick of it just to be sure, but it always tasted of pencil shavings and fluff! lol

Mmmmm ... Apple drops with the paper bag melted onto it. :D

Mmmmm ... Apple drops with the paper bag melted onto it. :D
    so you had to squash a cluster of 3 or 4 in yer gob at the one time! ahhh, the simple pleasures.....:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Anyone who's been in today please tell us what it's like. Anyone know how late they're open on weekdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Cats.Whiskers

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Anyone who's been in today please tell us what it's like. Anyone know how late they're open on weekdays?

and a list of their purchases - please !

bash_141781t.jpg

didnt make it down but will be out that way in the morning so will keep u all posted! (girly squeal of excitement)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Anyone been in? What's it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

It apparently now will be open on Sat. HTH

Oh how did you find that out? :p Spoke to Mr Doggy Doo and he will be opening on Sat, got all the sweets on the shelves so you can stand in the window and drool at all the old and differnet sweets, I have been asked already to get a load to bring home on sunday!

• Advertisement

I hear they'd a busy opening day on Saturday, long may it continue!
    Good to see people supporting local businesses :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ecf08

Going to take a look myself tomorrow. Best of luck to them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Had a look yesterday. All the old favourites in jars. Kola Kubes, pear drops, all the bonbon flavours and of course those horrible sweets that look like pin cushions. I think they are €1.30 a quarter. Im presuming all sweets are the same price. There was a queue out the door afternoon yesterday. You bring your jar to the counter and your quarter is filled there for you. Is Mr Doggydoo the owner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dazzyash

These shop's are just the best, there's a really good on in Temple bar called Mr treats sweets, been open a few months now, it's turned into a regular little haunt for me, the range is unbelievable literally hundreds of different sweets, never seen so many!! Good to see these old shops coming back :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

i went in last week and got cola cubes and ritchie milky mints. will definitely go back again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

NorthDub wrote: »
    i went in last week and got cola cubes and ritchie milky mints. will definitely go back again

Oh god I loved them! Have to head in for a look.

Used to always get a quarter of sherbet lemons in Carey's..well I say a quarter, but my aunt worked there so she used to sort me out :P

Mr DoggyDoo does own the place. Lovely man. Love Lemon bonbons, got to try a few more types of sweets in there. They have the Big Time bar! Use to take days to eat them!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Do they have sherbert fizz? Jeasus Iused to rob get a lend of them in a shop on the way home from primary school. Ah the cola cubes, bon bons. Used to walk the beach and stock up with returnable bottles and use the money for a quater bulls eyes or clove rocks.....................

Cant wait for my next trip to Balbriggan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

where abouts is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Yes they have fizz LeoB. Not as nice as I remember but then again all I wanted to do after tasting it was brush my teeth. I certainly didn't do that when I was small!

Morpheus it's beside The Bagel Bar on Drogheda/Dublin St. Opposite the Opticians.

Sadly, my search for Fizzle Sticks goes on. :)

Advertisement