Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Haggling in the UK / Up North?

Options
  • 29-03-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

As per an earlier thread I'm looking at 2008 / 2009 A6's in the UK and up North.

From people's experience out there, what kind of degree of haggling is there with UK garages? Is there realistically much room to manouevre?

Very interested to hear about any real life experiences, especially with Audi in general.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The car supermarkets such as autoquake and cargiant have no room for haggling, I'd imagine a main dealer would knock off 10-15% for a straight sale on most cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The car supermarkets such as autoquake and cargiant have no room for haggling, I'd imagine a main dealer would knock off 10-15% for a straight sale on most cars.

10 to 15%?
    Are you sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

on that much money your conversion rate is important as well

i bought sterling the othger day at 1.114 which is a nice price i've seen 4 points more
    which on 20k would be 800€

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The A6 does seem to still be worthwhile from the uk as compared to here. You will end up with a class spec compared to a bog standard here & probably still get it cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭solid 5

Hey Tigger - did you use transfermate / currency.ie or another firm to transfer the funds?

Decent rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 master-d

I bought a Focus u north a few months ago and got a 15% discount on the asking price as well as a full service, an extended warranty, new tyres and delivery to the south.

I had a target price that I would pay for the car and swore to myself I wouldnt take it unless I could get it for that price or less. You really have to go in hard and let the dealer know that you are a serious buyer who would take it or leave it. Iv seen friends trying to haggle asking if they "might possibly" be able to get a discount and obviously they were told no they couldnt! Go in with confidence and get a few additional extras like tyres, servicing etc, things that would cost you a lot of money but wouldnt cost the dealer much.

Cheers Master-d, much appreciated.

Most UK garage won't give you anywhere near 15% off the screen price unless they have it priced very looney for whatever reason. Quite often on a £10000 car they might give £300/£400 off.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

RoverJames wrote: »
    Most UK garage won't give you anywhere near 15% off the screen price unless they have it priced very looney for whatever reason. Quite often on a £10000 car they might give £300/£400 off.

i agree, i bought a passat that was only 12 months old up north a year ago and they didnt give much away as the car was priced quite keen to start with.

Do your homework and know what they are making up north and in the uk so you can spot a bargain straight away. Find out what its going to cost you to bring a car in from the uk as it wont cost you the same to drive it down from the north.

Good luck with the puchase

Thank you again - much appreciated guys.

You seem to pay a slight permium up North but may be worth it to have a dealer only 90 mins up the road rather than across the Irish Sea.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

solid 5 wrote: »
    Thank you again - much appreciated guys.

You seem to pay a slight permium up North but may be worth it to have a dealer only 90 mins up the road rather than across the Irish Sea.....

agreed, i had an anoying rattle in the dash and squeek in the glove box after a few thousand miles and got the dealer to sort it during first service. It gives great peace of mind knowing the dealer thats not far is willing to help.

Sothern dealers will do their best not to do warrenty on imports.

Advertisement