Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shower pump problem

Options
  • 29-03-2010 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

can anyone help ? the shower pump i have is leaking from the body housing, i have been informed that it may be 1 of 2 problems : the first is vibration, this is unlikely as the pump sits on a stable platform and is supplied with rubber feet. 2: the water passing through the pump is too hot, causing the seals to leak and damage the housing which i think maybe the problem but, im not a plumber and do not know how to rectify this problem if it is the cause ? can anyone help before i purchase another pump [which i'll have to do anyway] and for the problem to happen again ? please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The vibration can be sorted by siliconeing the pump to a tile and then siliconeing the tile to the floor. It also stops the transfer of vibration through to the floor.

The seals. Meh... I dont know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 paul the paint

hi joey, thanks for the reply, i've made a few enquirys and it seems that the stat on the cylinder has had it, therefore allowing scalding water through the pump and eating the seals on the body, do you think this maybe the problem ? cheers, paul.

Its a hard one to tell without seeing the pump. If I saw the pump I would know what it is but if your really worried replace both. A cylinder stat is cheap and if you match the model you could replace it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

A lot of pump makers insist that a thermostatic mixer valve is piped on the hot inlet, set at 60C. It is best practice to do this esp if you have a back boiler/stove etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 paul the paint

thanks for the quick reply, im going to replace the stat tomoz, this seems to be the main problem as the rads are not reaching anywhere near the temp they should be which makes me think that the stat is not shutting down. im going to have to slash out on a new pump anyway as its buggered. thanks for your help, well appreciated.

• Advertisement

A lot of pump makers insist that a thermostatic mixer valve is piped on the hot inlet, set at 60C. It is best practice to do this esp if you have a back boiler/stove etc.

This is true... But i dont think that most plumbers listen to this advice. I see many plumbers fail to fit surrey or warwick flanges and indeed fit inline with the hot taps.
    thanks for the quick reply, im going to replace the stat tomoz, this seems to be the main problem as the rads are not reaching anywhere near the temp they should be which makes me think that the stat is not shutting down. im going to have to slash out on a new pump anyway as its buggered. thanks for your help, well appreciated.

The cylinder stat shoul not effect this and makes me think that if your rads are not hot the water is not hot or maybe your summer time valve is not working correctly.

However it is cheap to replace the cylinder stat.

Advertisement