Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance question regarding hitch

Options
  • 29-03-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭

Hi, there's been some posts here recently regarding modifications to cars making the insurance void. I can fully understand this regarding the likes of turbo boosters and what not giving the engine extra grunt and the likes of larger alloy wheels changing the handling of the car etc but my question is regarding a tow bar. Is a hitch a modification to the original manufacturers specifications for insurance purposes?

Also what are the insurance conditions regarding the use of a trailer, the ROTR confirm that it's legal to pull a trailer under 750kgs and once the car/trailer is not over 3,500 kgs but do you have to specify in your insurance that you're insured to pull a trailer. What about a hitch mount for carrying bicycles?

I recently bought a Volvo S40 and it has a hitch included so am currently looking at insurance. I've a full license but it's my first time insured so no no claims bonus or named driver experience. I quite like the hitch as it will save by bumper in case anyone backs into me at a shopping centre etc and want to use it for a rack to carry bicycles. I'll probably hardly ever tow a trailer but would like the option all the same in case the situation arises. Would I still be covered under standard insurance with a trailer once it doesn't breach the weight restrictions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭CR 7

You see a lot of people driving cars that would never tow a trailer in their lives, that have hitches fitted so close to the bumper that you couldn't connect a trailer. They look impractical anyway, and it seems that people fit them because they can't park, and use it to prevent damaging their own cars when they back into something.

I assume that no insurance company would add a loading because of a hitch, although they should, it'd stop people fitting them that don't use them right.

Licence covers up to I think 750 kgs, it says on the licence anyway, I assume insurance does too.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

You see a lot of people driving cars that would never tow a trailer in their lives, that have hitches fitted so close to the bumper that you couldn't connect a trailer. They look impractical anyway, and it seems that people fit them because they can't park, and use it to prevent damaging their own cars when they back into something.
    Metal parking sensors:D

Advertisement