Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What milage is too much to buy?

Options
  • 29-03-2010 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi,
    I am looking at a vw t4 diesel early 90's factory built camper. She's done 200k miles. Its about twice the milage of others I am considering. Is the milage just too high to consider? I'm trying to find out when the TB was changed.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

At that mileage it should be cheap enough to make a reconditioned engine worthwile.

I'm not saying that it's not going to last another 100k ...but is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Mahogony

Thanks for the reply.
    What would be a ball park figure for a reconditioned engine just so I can factor it into the equation.
    What about the gearbox, bearings etc? would they have a longer life or would it just be one thing after another falling apart.
    I like th elook of this van but I'm nervous.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm no mechanic, so I probably don't know any more than you ...and yes, I'd be nervous too.

If I were you I'd only buy it if I were either mechanically minded enough to fix it myself if it goes wrong or if I had a mechanic friend.

Then again ...vans with low mileage go wrong too

Thanks Peasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Mahogony wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am looking at a vw t4 diesel early 90's factory built camper. She's done 200k miles. Its about twice the milage of others I am considering. Is the milage just too high to consider? I'm trying to find out when the TB was changed.
    thanks

Once looked after with the correct oil and regular changes the engines are very reliable proven design from the days of methusela, there are reports of airport taxis with 850k miles etc. on the uk t4 forum. In the event of failure you can fit all sort of engines from the passat / golf etc. etc. ranges.

The t4 gearboxes can be problematic and an awful job to change although there are purpose built cradles and things you can buy now that make the job easier. As they're problematic they are usually gone from the scrappers. Recon gearbox is up to 1k euro plus fitting.

I wouldn't be surprised to find a mint engine at 200k but I'd be wary of the gearbox. If you have to get the timing belt done you might be able to get a low mile engine fitted for not too much extra money.

• Advertisement

Thanks Paddy,
    Oh the decisions!
    Will have a look and see what I think then.

Advertisement