Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike fishing

Options
  • 29-03-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

I was just wondering what is the best time to go fishing for pike(time of day, type of day).....Where is the best place to find pike and what should you feed them ??

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmcspud

Hi Trepasers,
    You can fish for Pike for any time. You should probably give them a break in April & May to spawn alright though but it's not illegal. Anyway I find the few hours before it gets dark to be the best time of the day and love fishing for pike in late summer August and Sept. Best lure imo are large (Size 5 at least) Spinners, large spoons, immitation rubber fish, and plugs which either sink or float (decided by the depth of the water). As i like to stay active and cover lots of ground i don't fish with dead bait or wobble a dead bait.

Best spots are just off Lilly beds in small lakes otherwise fish slow moving large rivers, resovoirs or large lakes. Remember Pike aren't in all our Rivers and lakes... ex there are no Pike in Lough Leane in Killarney (Rightly so however!!)

Hope that helps... keep me posted on how you get on ,
    All the best,

seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭trepasers

I will deffinately try that......I know the river I am fishing has lots of them......I brought my friend down to catch one........Finding it impossible to catch one now that hes with me ........typical :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Paulie907

pike can go on the feed for an hour and then stop for the wholeday, sometimes its just a case of finding this out the hard way by fishing the river at different times, look for reedy parts of the river, they will wait in places and ambush fish, i find copper spinners very good and rapella spinners, mackeral and oily fish are great dead baits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Irish_Fisher

Hi, The best time of day is dawn/dusk.
    pike fishing is normally best in bad weather. every time i catch a big pike is during heavy rain. some times you can get lucky and catch in good weather because in cloondroon lake when it was very warm me and my uncle went fishing for a hour and i cought a 6 pound pike.

the best place to fish for a pike in any river or lake is infront/ beside weeds.

for bait i would reccomend a big spoon or spinner as they are all i catch pike on.

good luck fishing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

For bait I'd use mackerel or another small oily fish but I only do it dead baiting on te bottom.
    I prefer using a small roach or perch and either float them or spin them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 evilgannet

Fish hard, pike are'tn fussy, just keep plugging away, large spinners, deadbait, plugs etc. dawn and dusk as mentioned earlier would bw ideal for the big ones amd most important of all fish close to weedbeds lillypads anyone place with cover pike are lazy bastards, pure ambush predators so wobble your bait past their weedy lair...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

evilgannet wrote: »
    Fish hard, pike are'tn fussy, just keep plugging away, large spinners, deadbait, plugs etc. dawn and dusk as mentioned earlier would bw ideal for the big ones amd most important of all fish close to weedbeds lillypads anyone place with cover pike are lazy bastards, pure ambush predators so wobble your bait past their weedy lair...

Wouldn't say they are lazy in any way.
    The larger big 20s would be very lazy and more of a scavenger but small doubles aren't really lazy.
    I've had pike chase lures and smash them a few times constantly chasing till the hook set.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

when you see a 12-13lb pike come clean out of the water taking a bait being retrieved across the surface, you wouldnt call them lazy. yes, larger pike will be scavangers, cannibalistic even (i've seen one mid twenties with looked like the tail of a 2-3lb jack pike sticking out of its gullet). as said before, leave them be while spawning, and always catch/release.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 evilgannet

Pike are really lazy................

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Wasn't aware that fish could be lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Anthropomorphism never reflects reality.
    Because Pike are predators, and ambush predators at that, means they are actually anything but lazy. As a dyed in the wool trout angler I can tell you pike are much harder to catch than a decent trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rugermk3

summer pike are anything but lazy 10 - 16 lbs bigger the pike the lazier they get, winter don't chase pray as much better to use a dead bait

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

i got a nice fish yesterday and one the day before aswell,ill stick up the video if thats ok with the original op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I got my 1st pike of the year yesterday, a jack. I got him on that well known pike bait, a red worm and a dendrobeena! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

i got a nice fish yesterday and one the day before aswell,ill stick up the video if thats ok with the original op

Considering the OP was 4 years ago, I'd say you're sound to put it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

how do i get videos and pictures from my saved files up on here?ive loads of photos saved of the pike and looking to put them up

Advertisement