Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Wrong DAT File Format" pop-up box on startup

Options
  • 29-03-2010 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

After the desktop appears on startup this box pops up, followed by a second box saying "Initialization Error".

Why and how do I stop this happening?

Many thanks for any help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Do you have many applications starting-up with windows as soon as you turn it on?
    Do you know how to access "msconfig" ?
    Since when did you get this error and have you done any installations and/or uninstalls just beforehand?
    Have you pulled the plug rather too quickly recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Nope, in fact got rid of some items that started automatically on startup. That's what I think is causing it.

Yes, I know about msconfig. But not much, otherwise I would have explored in there.

It's been happening for a month or so.

It's a laptop and someone tripped over the power lead a while back, pulling it out of the machine, so yes, it was powered down rather quickly!

Have you tried a system restore point reversal?

Yes.

Forgot to add it's a netbook running XP SP2.

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Yes.
    Forgot to add it's a netbook running XP SP2.
    You could try upgrading it to service pack three.

As for the Msconfig, you wouldn't be deleting items, you would be disabling them.
    Avoid the main ones that are Microsoft and display/keyboard drivers and you should be all right.
    One by one by process of elimination (disable the right one and the error message won't appear), you should be able to discover what application is causing the fault when Windows start-up goes looking for the missing file(s).
    When that is discovered, you have two choices, leave it disabled or re-install the app and enable it again in Msconfig.

You could also try the 30 day full repair ability with Tune-Up Utilities (especially the "Tune-up 1-Click Maintenance" tool), to see will that find anything also. A great tool.
    See here: http://www.tuneup-software.co.uk/products/tuneup-utilities/

• Advertisement

Ooh, my bad, it IS SP3. Sorry.

Thanks for that advice, I'll try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 meghnac78

hello,

I am having the same problem. There is a "wrong dat file" pop up on startup, followed by initialization error. i have done a system restore, but it didn't help.

I have windows 7.

The problem started after I plugged in an USB. the USB kept saying it was write protected and i couldn't copy anything onto it. I unplugged it, and didn't use it again.

I put my computer to sleep last night, and when i restarted it this morning, the error started.

how do i fix it?

please please help. if you can give me a step by step instruction, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks again in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Run HijackThis and see if are any orphan files running at startup.

thanks for the reply.

I ran HijackThis like you said. But this came came up: for some reason your system denied write access to the Hosts file. If any hijacked domains are in this file, HijackThis may not be able to fix this.

what do i do?

sorry, it seems i am illiterate when it comes to computers :(

thanks again for the reply and the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Did you click do a system scan only?

Use this for a startup log
    How to generate a startup list log file

1. Open HijackThis by clicking Start > Program Files > HijackThis > HijackThis.
    2. Click the "Open the Misc Tools section" button.
    3. Click the "Generate StartupList log" button and a warning box will appear.
    4. Once you click "Yes" to continue, the log will open in your system's default text editor.

• Advertisement

okie, followed your instructions.

what am i looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

"Wrong DAT File Format"

this indicates that a data file was either being Wrote to or Read and and was interrupted, so windows throws up that ridiculous message.

"initialization error" would mean that the file is damaged and can no longer be read, for a few reasons, try this:

(1) With the Laptop off, plug the USB in,
    (2) Boot the Laptop up fully,
    (3) try and access the USB again.
    (4) If the USB can be accessed, right click the USB icon and choose whatever option exits the USB.
    (5) Remove USB
    (6) restart Laptop, hopefully the Data file was rewrote properly and the message wont appear

alright i will try that. thanks a lot. hopefully i can find the USB, since it was not mine :(

thanks a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ranjitw

Did you get the problem resovled. I too have it now. Please do help if you did get rid of it.
    Thanks

Advertisement