Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car over revving while moving. Very wierd

Options
  • 29-03-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi again,

Fiat Bravo 01 1.2

Just noticed this last week, not sure what to make of it. I was driving along, accelerating up to 100Kph on the N7 when all of a sudden the car started [as best I can explain as] over revving.

Accelerator was depressed but not that much. Clutch was not depressed. Speedometer started show big rev's until I took my foot off the accelerator. This generally only happens at high gears and only seems to happen when I try to accelerate quickly.

I may have also noticed an oder from the air vents too but not sure. Something like gas or petrol but can't be sure that this is from my car.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Clutch slipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

your clutch is gone
    it will get worse
    untill you have no drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Do you get sweet odor from the air wents and is the carpets wet in the front?

If you do then it might be a heater matrix problem.

Also for another problem, if you drive steady speed at lets say 70km/h and you accelerate hard, what happends, does the car speed up or just the revs? If just the revs then your car might have slipping clutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Sounds like the clutch is on the way out. It happened to my focus two years ago.

It got progressively worse. From standing still, try to take off quickly. If it revs high and doesnt grip, or revs high then slowly starts to engage, then its probably the clutch.

Got mine done in the Mondeo last week and it was massive money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The OP needs a new clutch.

Being a petrol it shouldn't be that expensive(will still be a few hundred yo yo's alright), well at least compared to a modern CR diesel it won't be anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

itarumaa wrote: »
    Do you get sweet odor from the air wents and is the carpets wet in the front?

If you do then it might be a heater matrix problem.

Also for another problem, if you drive steady speed at lets say 70km/h and you accelerate hard, what happends, does the car speed up or just the revs? If just the revs then your car might have slipping clutch.

Funnily enough, there was some "dripping water" at right of accelerator this morning. I put it down to heavy rain over night which never stopped. To be honest, the car has been in heavier rain with no leakage.

The car doesn't over rev while taking off but it is a bit more sluggish to start than, say, 2 weeks ago.

If I'm at a stead 70kph and hard accelerate, yeah it over revs. Not all the time, though.

Bollocky anyway. Just got stung for half a grand by AP for brakes and timing belt. Pain in my left one.

Cheers anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

RangeR wrote: »
    Funnily enough, there was some "dripping water" at right of accelerator this morning. I put it down to heavy rain over night which never stopped. To be honest, the car has been in heavier rain with no leakage.

The car doesn't over rev while taking off but it is a bit more sluggish to start than, say, 2 weeks ago.

If I'm at a stead 70kph and hard accelerate, yeah it over revs. Not all the time, though.

Bollocky anyway. Just got stung for half a grand by AP for brakes and timing belt. Pain in my left one.

Cheers anyway.

€500 for a timing belt and brakes on a bravo?? Dealers strike again!

As for your current problem, definatly the clutch starting to slip. Get it changed sooner rather then later as if you let it slip too much you'll start damaging the flywheel too and they are usually more expensive to buy then a clutch kit!:eek:

The smell may well be from the clutch slipping too..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Its your clutch. Happened to me recently, smell too. Get it done asap or the pressure plate and the whole lot will go. I just priced a clutch kit there, 150 quid.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I just priced a clutch kit there, 150 quid.

Cheers for that. But by the time Advanced Pitstop get the stuff for me, it will probably cost me €10,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

€500 for a timing belt and brakes on a bravo?? Dealers strike again!

It wasn't a dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Cheers for that. But by the time Advanced Pitstop get the stuff for me, it will probably cost me €10,000.

Don't bother ... they wouldn't know their arse from their elbow.

Go to a local indy with a good rep.

Soooo then don't get Advance pitstop to get it for you.. No more then €120-150 fitting at private garaga rates..
    Jip wrote: »
    It wasn't a dealer.

I'll hazard a guess that it was the above mentioned establishment? 50%+ mark up required on all parts they order in!!

Soooo then don't get Advance pitstop to get it for you.. No more then €120-150 fitting at private garaga rates..

Yes, but I have to get it done by end of week. I will not be going back to them again.

It's also hard to find a reputable indy, though. Got stung in the past.

Open to suggestions...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

As above use Advance Pitstop of tyres, but don't be getting them to do anything more complex for your car.

Get a decent indy and not only will your car receive better maintenance it probably will be cheaper too.

Yes, but I have to get it done by end of week. I will not be going back to them again.

It's also hard to find a reputable indy, though. Got stung in the past.

Open to suggestions...

Some of the advance pitstop service centers have decent mechanics but most will just have the normal fitters doing the work.

Were abouts are you based?

Advertisement