Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Strange noise while driving

Options
  • 29-03-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi all, have a BMW and I've recently noiced a strange noise coming from the car while driving it gets worse as the car gets faster.

The noise sounds like the pod racers from starwars. :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Jyq0cWntY

go to 5.25 in the vid it sounds like that :rolleyes:

any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

sounds like someone has swapped your engine for an F1 engine judging by that vid. :D

edit: any real world references? If its a whirring noise it could be a dry diff. How old is it? Stone rubbing against disc...

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

E39MSport wrote: »
    sounds like someone has swapped your engine for an F1 engine judging by that vid. :D

edit: any real world references? If its a whirring noise it could be a dry diff. How old is it? Stone rubbing against disc...

Its not so much the engine F1 engine noise (I wish) more like the whirring noise you can hear in the vid.

It's a 03 (316 1.8l)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sounds like it could be the Flux Capacitor...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are you sure it's the engine? Maybe a loose trimming flapping.
    Try turning fans etc off.
    Can you record it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

wheel bearing? warped disc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

My first car Rover 25:o made this type of sound a few months after I got it.
    Turns out some of the gearing teeth had sheered off and were rattling around the gearbox at some rate of knots. Was told by the mechanic that I was very lucky the whole gearbox didn't lock up when I was driving:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

If its gets louder when you speed up its a Wheel Bearing.

Try get someone to sit in the back and the front seats when your driving to see which side its on.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

I had the same problem with loud noises in the car which got unbearable the faster I went.
    I just leave the missus at home now. No more noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

cronin_j wrote: »
    If its gets louder when you speed up its a Wheel Bearing.

Try get someone to sit in the back and the front seats when your driving to see which side its on.

Sounds about right as it seems to be coming from the left back wheel/area. Is it expensive to get the bearings replaced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Depends on the car really, BMW parts are expensive and if you go to the main stealer you will be charged plenty.

My father did mine on my focus and it took him twenty minutes. The part i think was 30 euro.

Have a look on Micksgarage.ie to see the cost of the part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

A wheel bearing noise will often disappear when you corner. If the bad bearing is, for example,on the passenger side, then turning left can put more weight on that side, taking up the slack in the bearing and so the noise stops, until you straighten up again. It's a simple test. A diy replacement isnt all that hard, just need the right spanners etc, torque wrench and pullers to remove the old bearing. But be advised, the locknut on the drive shaft will often thread in the opposite direction to a standard nut. It helps to keep it tight, due to rotation. It's too easy to shear the thread, thinking the nut is just very tight. Check the direction of the thread first!

Advertisement