Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotting roof felt.

Options
  • 29-03-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have rotting felt below my slates in a small area of my roof. This though does not fill me with confidence for the life span of the rest though.

Is the replacement or repair of the roof felt something that could be claimed under house insurance. Could the whole roof felt be replaced or would the insurance people only pay for a repair to the affected area??

PS What is the modern solution to roof felt. Is there a more robust material with greater insulation properties?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FergusD

Hi Antrim,

I can't comment on the roof/insurance/replacement question, but in terms of what's being used on roofs at the minute, there's what are termed breather membranes. The two most expensive(and common?) are Solitex and Tyvek. These are basically the equivalent to high class breathable rain gear for your roof (Goretex etc.) - they let moisture out while being waterproof. There are other cheaper alternatives which probably do exactly the same job, but someone more knowledgeable than me can comment on them.

Regards,

Fergus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Hi, I have rotting felt below my slates in a small area of my roof. This though does not fill me with confidence for the life span of the rest though.

Is the replacement or repair of the roof felt something that could be claimed under house insurance. Could the whole roof felt be replaced or would the insurance people only pay for a repair to the affected area??

PS What is the modern solution to roof felt. Is there a more robust material with greater insulation properties?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

youd have to get them out to assess the damage
    +1 on what the last poster said regarding the tyvek breather membrane

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

endasmail wrote: »
    youd have to get them out to assess the damage
    +1 on what the last poster said regarding the tyvek breather membrane

A roofing company? or the insurance people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

get an insurance lad out to see what way he is going to deal with it
    whether to replace the whole lot of just the patch
    to be honest i cant see them saying just to patch it ,if it is all in bad condition

after ya talk to the insurance lad ,he ll probably tell you to go get a price off a roofing company
    which you will have to go back to him with ,and take it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭horse7

if its wear and tear they may not pay out,you may need some storm weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

horse7 wrote: »
    if its wear and tear they may not pay out,you may need some storm weather.

Thats what they said. I now need to get a roofing repair bloke out to price me up. Anybody recommend a company in South Dublin North Wicklow??

Advertisement