Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vw passat sump

Options
  • 29-03-2010 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi every one,I just bought a 00 passat 1.9TDI. I got it cheap bacause the sump has a hole in it.Ordered the sump will have it tomorrow and going to fit it my self. By no means am i a mechanic but i do my own servicing breaks etc. Did any of you guys do one if so is there any suprises to look out for. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The 2 bolts that go up into the crankshaft oil seal on the bell house side of the sump are a bit of bastard to get back in and can cross thread easily. If you keep going after you cross thread them you will crack the seal and end up having to take the gearbox out to fix it.

I hope the engine didn't run without oil

BTW, did you get the right sump. One has a oil level sensor, one doesn't. They can be got in most motor factors for about 100 these days

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Topdeck

Tanks slidey, you sure know your stuff. There are 2 types of sump but my one could only be got in vw it cost 130e. I took a chance on the engine,
    fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

not the handyest job.you have to open the engine mounts and lift the engine up a bit to get enough clearance to get the sump off. when your putin it back on, put the sealer on the engine block and instead of on the sump, its just handier and less messy

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Topdeck

Thanks Hiluxman, it makes sense what your saying, im going to use the red gasket sealer i presume that would be ok.

Advertisement