Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How does your mechanic treat your vehicle?

Options
  • 29-03-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

This is a sore topic with me regarding the only two garages in my area.
    After a service or any repair I have the following.
    Floor is always covered in grease from their boots , inside door panels and seats sometimes have oily hand prints and also the exterior paintwork would have oily hand prints from them leaning on the car.:mad:
    I have also found spanners and screwdrivers in the engine area when I got home.
    Also the car could go in clean but they use customers cars to go for parts and sometimes the car is covered in mud especially if they have used it to go to a breakers yard.
    These are all very hard and very time consuming things to get off.
    When I say it to them --They usually pass it off as a joke and say it's not a Ferrari or a Porsche. My car and my wife's car are both 99 reg but They are kept immaculate by us and both look a lot newer than their age.
    Both garages charge 45 euro an hour labour so its not as if I'm getting it done cheap.
    I hopefully will be scrapping my car for a new car this year and I know for a fact they will treat it the same if it has to go in for anything.

I would like to hear how your local garage treats the car and how you deal or would deal with what I have to put up with.
    I know that I could go to another garage but the nearest apart from the two local ones is 15 miles away .
    I do not want to name and shame any garages here please.:)
    Thanks for taking the time to read this and looking forward to any input.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

A friend does all my work in his garage. My car is a bit messy anyway but he generally gives it a quick wash before dropping it back to me. Never found anything that didnt belong in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Don't for a second think that that's normal behavior, if they laugh off a complaint, take your business elsewhere. Lots of people on here travel a good distance to get their car serviced, just because they are local doesn't mean you have to use them. Tools in the engine bay? I'd never go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I'm lucky in that I can do everything to my own car myself and I thought myself to do them because I wanted to know the job was definately done and also I would be fearful of getting the car back like you describe or worse.

I certainly wouldn't accept them using my car to get parts etc and would not accept the car back dirty.

Saying its not a ferrari etc shows you they have no pride in their work imo.

Saying its not a ferrari etc shows you they have no pride in their work imo.

Very true. I remember I had my car so clean for the NCT last year, the tester didn't want to get in in case he dirtied the carpets. :pac:

The above crowd sound like they have no respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would think that if they are that sloppy around the car then the quality of work isn't the best. What I can't do myself I give to my mechanic but then usually help him out so I'll learn to do it myself next time. He's a clean guy thankfully.
    I've had to drop the car off at garages in the city when I didn't have time/ couldn't be asked to do it myself and never got the car back dirty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I found a set of screw drivers in the engine bay of one of our vans it had being down to kerry and back with them sittin there.
    Nice find!!!

But seriously i want a car serviced not washed so i don't mind if it doesn't come back valeted,
    But coming back with oil in the inside of the car, once you can say mistake but everytime and then laughing at you.
    If they treat you property that way, whats to say they service your car correctly in the first place.

But using it to get parts, yeah no don't think so! Then charging you for labour after using you car!

Buy a van! Or use there own car.

Id move mechanic to be honest OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Car is never washed after a service - I prefer this anyway as I prefer to look after that sort of thing myself. I usually drop it in clean anyway as fairs fair if people are working on it.

Car usually comes back with a few km's of a road test on it. Always had a protective cover on the seat and footwell. Get told exactly what was done and how it is generally. Oh and always a few quid cheaper than the quote.

Seems to do a good job, everything is as fresh as it was when I got it and runs very well.

This is the minimum I would expect from anywhere. Plenty more places to do the work if it's not up to scratch.

(I once dragged a mechanic in a Ford garage out of my old car when I saw him do something not very nice to it:D)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I had a painter once tell me "my car was a little rockeh!" after he went to collect supplies in it without my knowledge. Needless to say i wasn't amused.

Was in Autoglass with a mate there about a week or 2 ago and yore man not only fitted the drivers window wrong, but also left the door full of glass and his Torx driver on the roof. we only found it after a 10 minute drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

no excuse for that sort of thing.....

just lazy...

i be worried that if they forget their tools, did they forget to put everything back into the engine bay??

move on plenty of mechanics and shops out there that will treat your car with more respect ....

lets see them laugh when you decide to shop elsewhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

dont know if im off topic ,but here goes i gave my car to a mechanic /body repair.all he was too do was cut out rust and respray my roof

when i got my car back

when it started there was a huge rattle from the engine (turned out to be an engine mount)

there where key scratches on the side panel near the bonnet

one of the smoke gaurds was pulled off

and the car veered to the left

a wing liner was loose and all covered in mud .

tried to get this guy for a long time ,and after this people had told me stories of their car which also came back with problems after him :mad:

im still trying to get him to come look at it and pay me for the damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

My mechanic never leaves any dirt or mess inside, MAYBE an oily hand print on the body, but they wouldn't bother me.

Once had to get a bigger garage to do some work, my mechanic recommend them for that particular job, they washed the car after it, but as their labour cost was €20 an hour more, it was the least they could do:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I'm up a 1/4" Teng socket wrench after a mechanic left it in my engine bay !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

Thanks for all the replies.
    I am normally a quiet enough person but if I snap it's red mist.I don't want to end up in trouble .
    I know both garage owners and rotate the cars to give them both some business but I am really fed up with the state they leave the cars.
    I have a friend in the town that I mentioned was 15 miles away and could wait there until car was ready.
    I am starting to do some work myself --I changed fuel pump and window regulator and I am hoping to do the services myself too.
    The window regulator and fuel pump were going to cost me two hours labour each plus parts.That's 90 euro each labour..
    I really thought that this was the norm with garages but thanks to your replies I was sooooo wrong.
    I have given them both many chances and I think it's a total lack of respect.
    What I cannot do myself will now be brought to a different garage .

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

katana1 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I am normally a quiet enough person but if I snap it's red mist.I don't want to end up in trouble .
    I know both garage owners and rotate the cars to give them both some business but I am really fed up with the state they leave the cars.
    I have a friend in the town that I mentioned was 15 miles away and could wait there until car was ready.
    I am starting to do some work myself --I changed fuel pump and window regulator and I am hoping to do the services myself too.
    The window regulator and fuel pump were going to cost me two hours labour each plus parts.That's 90 euro each labour..
    I really thought that this was the norm with garages but thanks to your replies I was sooooo wrong.
    I have given them both many chances and I think it's a total lack of respect.
    What I cannot do myself will now be brought to a different garage .

your better off .i do what i can on mine also saves so much money,if only i could have done that rust myself :( .i think some of the newer cars are made so complicated that you cant do alot ,or am i wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You could bring it up with the boss at the garage. Tell him you're now taking your business elsewhere because of the way the mechanics are.
    If you kick him in the wallet the grease monkeys will feel it.

I would say that the newer cars are mostly garage only as it's all to do with a computer.

I used a main dealer once when I was about 23 ,,, I had a 2 year old corolla and remember that it was washed and cleaned by the toyoya dealer after a service.
    When I get (Hopefully) the new car it will be main dealer for any repairs that I cannot do.

biko wrote: »
    You could bring it up with the boss at the garage. Tell him you're now taking your business elsewhere because of the way the mechanics are.
    If you kick him in the wallet the grease monkeys will feel it.

I know both garage owners since I was young and maybe that's why they are taking me for granted.
    Well --It's their loss as I always paid when collecting the car .
    I am saying this as both of them are saying they are owed thousands from customers not paying after promising to "Bring it in tomorrow".

Just want to apologise for double posting but I want to reply to people that took the time to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Completely agree with most in this tread, if the garage is lucky enough to have your custom they should have a bit of respect and want to keep you loyal.

I use a semi local guy (not local but on my commute route) and the fact that his garage and yard is spotless, my car is given back to me with covers on the seats, he goes out of his way sourcing parts and the total is usually less than the quote means I will be back to him again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I expect to get my car back in the same state I left it at a minimum, some local garages will give it a quick clean but I'm not pushed if this does not happen.
    To your OP, I'd demand the car be cleaned to original standard and take my car elsewhere, if that's the pride they show from their work to what standard is their mechanical approach.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you are happy to tackle fuel pump & window regulator, I dont see why you wouldnt be doing regular service work yourself.

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    I expect to get my car back in the same state I left it at a minimum, some local garages will give it a quick clean but I'm not pushed if this does not happen.
    To your OP, I'd demand the car be cleaned to original standard and take my car elsewhere, if that's the pride they show from their work to what standard is their mechanical approach.

The icing on the cake was when I had the car in for 4 tyres, With my usual luck I got a puncture a few days later.When I went to change the wheel ,one of the wheel nuts was smaller--I had to ring my wife to bring a socket set.
    When I confronted the guy at the garage ,,They had stripped the threads on one of the wheel studs and put in something called a "helicoil" which was a 17 mm head where as the original studs were 19mm.Just as well I wasn't on a back road miles from home.If they told me I could have put a socket in the car.
    When I got home and cooled down --I then took into account the state the cars come back --Then I wanted to see if all garages were similar -Thus starting this thread.
    Thanks again for all replies -You have really opened my eyes.

I suspect we just confirmed what you originally thought, best of luck with a new mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've gotten my Passat serviced at a main dealer since I bought it, but I've found that the dealers up north (Enniskillen) seem to do a better (not to mention cheaper!) job and it always comes back freshly washed and the courtesy car for the day is free (last time it was a 06 diesel Mercedes E320 - very nice but I couldn't afford to keep it in fuel! :D) ... might be a small thing, but it sets them apart.

So far I've never found anything that shouldn't be there, nor excessive extra mileage on the clock, so it's worth the trip to me for the peace of mind.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I've gotten my Passat serviced at a main dealer since I bought it, but I've found that the dealers up north (Enniskillen) seem to do a better (not to mention cheaper!) job and it always comes back freshly washed and the courtesy car for the day is free (last time it was a 06 diesel Mercedes E320 - very nice but I couldn't afford to keep it in fuel! :D) ... might be a small thing, but it sets them apart.

So far I've never found anything that shouldn't be there, nor excessive extra mileage on the clock, so it's worth the trip to me for the peace of mind.

I can't believe I've taken this c**p for so long.I've known these guys for years and they got all my business for the last 18 years.
    I fell into a rut and just put up with it all along but enough is enough.When I see the posts like yours I feel like a bit of an idiot for not moving sooner.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I can't believe I've taken this c**p for so long.I've known these guys for years and they got all my business for the last 18 years.
    I fell into a rut and just put up with it all along but enough is enough.When I see the posts like yours I feel like a bit of an idiot for not moving sooner.:rolleyes:

Well like you I got burned by an independent with my last car (02 Passat in that case).. aside from constant issues with it and the never-ending runaround from them when it came to sorting it out, I just got sick of dealing with them.

Now I know that there are a lot of good, trustworthy independents out there but it seems so hit-and-miss that I'm ok with paying a bit extra for taking the current car to a main dealer (besides, by taking her across the border I've saved in and around €600 over the last 2 service intervals).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I guess if you are going to use a main dealer, it does make sense to go north.
    You could have a week in the sun for what you might save on a T belt job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Getting back to the OP's point, surely having you car returned clean is basic stuff?

I'm a mechanic, for various reasons I've farmed out jobs on my own cars over the past few years, the results were pathetic.

One job returned the car with covers over all the drivers side stuff, the passenger seat was mired in grime... the second time the car was returned with piss poor brakes, a real eye opener vis a vis standards, all it took was bleeding to restore to normal...

There are some really dodgy buggers out there.

I blame the training regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

The treatment of my car by mechanics is one of the reasons I always go to the main dealer. Will have proper comeback is case of problems.

They protect the car well during service or any routine job. both front seats fully covered, steering wheel covered, wing covers used when bonnet open. And when they are finished the valet the car. Costs a bit more but a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tools in the engine bay? I'd never go back.

and miss out on more free tools?:)

• Advertisement

lol, i have enough.

Advertisement