Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sober Holidays

Options
  • 29-03-2010 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all!

I’m not a regular here myself, but the mods kindly gave me permission to post about something that may be of interest to some of you.

A mate of mine Andrew (in recovery for a few years now) has set up a holiday resort in Portugal specifically for people who want to have a drink-free vacation. Working alongside Andrew as his co-host in the resort is John Healy (whom you may better know as the presenter/Maître D’ on The Restaurant).

Anyway, from what I understand – this is the only drink & drug-free resort this side of the Atlantic. There is also sobriety support available if required. But mainly it is a place to have a nice holiday in beautiful surroundings.

Have a look through the site & see if it is something that you would enjoy...
    Sober Holidays

Take care,

HB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

I recall reading about this a while back in the Indo. Have giving it a good look at and while I well give it proper thought over the next few months I first must go about finding out who flies to Faro airport.
    Best of luck to all involved from here on
    FM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Ryanair and Aer Lingus fly to Faro

I was actually plannin on headin to Faro in August on me own, might suss this place out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

lol :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

lol :rolleyes:

Yes? Do elaborate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I have two weeks off in September. I'll definitely be heading to this place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

I'm in recovery now 4 months. And everywhere I look I seem to find brochures for 'Sober Holidays'. In the treatment centre I was in, In an AA room, sitting my chair at my aftercare and now on here.

I must say I feel a little uncomfortable with this promotion for a commercial enterprise on the 'recovery' scene.

Its a wonderful idea but I'm starting to resent these holidays being shoved down my neck at every turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I'm in recovery now 4 months. And everywhere I look I seem to find brochures for 'Sober Holidays'. In the treatment centre I was in, In an AA room, sitting my chair at my aftercare and now on here.

I must say I feel a little uncomfortable with this promotion for a commercial enterprise on the 'recovery' scene.

Its a wonderful idea but I'm starting to resent these holidays being shoved down my neck at every turn.

I don't mean any disrespect here, but you were never forced to read this thread so it certainly was not shoved down your neck, despite what has happened you elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

[-0-] wrote: »
    I don't mean any disrespect here, but you were never forced to read this thread so it certainly was not shoved down your neck, despite what has happened you elsewhere.

Your right I didn't but I do feel that people in early recovery are very vulnerable and should not be bombarded with leaflets for a holiday. Do you think it is appropriate to distribute these leaflets at a treatment centre? Or have them left lying on everyones chair when they arrive at an aftercare session?

Advertisement