Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 engine

Options
  • 29-03-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a 2004 Audi A4 1.8T that needs a new engine. I'm trying to source an engine in the UK as they are very scarce over here. Does anyone know what the difference is between the engine identification codes as there is a number of them and are they compatible or how easy is it to put in a different engine as I've been told now (bit bloody late) that the 1.8T engine is troublesome?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Was it starved of oil?

They are not unreliable once thay are kept serviced, frequent oil changes are a must on them. Small oil capacity because of the engine layout and if it's not changed with good synthetic it causes the oil pickup to clog leading to oil starvation to the top of the engine.
    Change the oil every 10k kms and it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

No, timing belt went and made sh*te of the engine. Looks like it might be cheaper to replace than repair.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Chiorino wrote: »
    No, timing belt went and made sh*te of the engine. Looks like it might be cheaper to replace than repair.

What miles was on it as a matter of interest, and when was the belt last done?

Timing belt done at 80k. 105k on the clock when it went.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Chiorino wrote: »
    Timing belt done at 80k. 105k on the clock when it went.

25k out of a belt? Woah, I'd expect to get at least 45k to 50k miles out of a belt - minimum. 25k is brutal. Are you certain it was actually done?

Did you get it done at a main dealer? I'd have a word with them about it if so. Little chance of getting anything but worth a shot, might give you a discount on the repairs.

• Advertisement

Timing belt was done (albeit before I bought the car and in the UK). I contacted the company who did it and they said they don't warrantly belts for more than 10k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

go to www.vagdrivers.net

there's an encyclopaedia of knowledge over there which will help you

As for parts?

www.traynors.co.uk in Armagh , may have something for you.

Used to be ads in the back of Top Gear magazine, What Car etc. for reconditioned engines in the UK. A 1.8T from an A4 shouldn't be too difficult to find. The earlier ones are 150bhp - yours I'm sure will be the 163bhp model (mine's an '03 and it has the 163 in it).

I've had no engine trouble from mine (yet) - as Neilw says above ones the right oil is used and regularly replaced you should be fine.

The common problems are coils and sensors. I've had a coil go and a knock sensor go in the time I've had mine (3 years). Both were inexpensive fixes and DIY jobs if you have the diagnostic software.

I know it's too late for you, but I'd bet your belt was never done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PNEE1

I have a 02 1.8t quattro its a150 bhp with an avj engine code. I had some trouble with the gauze in the sump clogging, I think its caused by using the wrong oil.it was due a timing belt at the time so it was no big deal to sort. And most recently the timing belt slipped by 15 teeth, but a new belt has it fine again. by any chance is yours quattro?

Advertisement