Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MNF is back

Options
  • 29-03-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

ESPN TO TELEVISE NFL MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL IN UK

ESPN UK will be the only place in the UK to watch the NFL game of the week live

London, 29 March 2010 – ESPN will add exclusive coverage of American Football’s Monday Night Football to its programme schedule for next season. The iconic US sports franchise features 17 games per season and is the only NFL game each week televised on Monday nights, and regularly features many of the league’s top matchups.

The longest-running and most successful primetime sports show in US television history, Monday Night Football will debut on ESPN UK on September 14 at 1am GMT. Each week, the game of the week will be televised live, and will also be re-aired the following day. Scheduling details for the repeat will be released closer to the beginning of the NFL season.

Each week ESPN will also televise the company’s 90-minute pre-game programme, Monday Night Countdown. Hosted by ESPN’s Chris Berman and originating from both Bristol and on-site at the game, Monday Night Countdown previews the night’s Monday Night Football matchup.

Jeroen Oerlemans, Vice President, ESPN, TV Channels Europe, Middle East and Africa said, “Monday Night Football is an enormous global sports franchise with an incredibly strong heritage, and it regularly features the very best NFL matchup of the week. With the NFL’s continued growth in the UK, this is another example of how we are building quality global programming around our core UK sports schedule.”

Added Hans Schroeder, NFL vice president, media strategy and development, “We are pleased to expand our partnership with ESPN in serving our fans in the U.K. who are passionate about the NFL. ESPN will continue to do an outstanding job of bringing our fans closer to our sport in new ways.”

Monday Night Football joins a broad portfolio of top sport on ESPN next season, headlined by the Barclay’s Premier League, the FA Cup, Guinness Premiership rugby, Clydesdale Bank Premier League, Europa League, the German Bundesliga, UFC, French Top 14 rugby, NBA basketball, DTM, Australian Rules Football and much more.

Celebrating its 40th year this autumn, Monday Night Football has aired exclusively on ESPN in the US since 2006. Since then, it has registered eight of the top 10 all-time biggest household audiences on pay television, including the Green Bay Packers-Minnesota Vikings broadcast on October 5, 2009, which attracted the biggest US cable audience ever (21.8 million viewers). Monday Night Football has also earned critical acclaim, earning 25 Emmy Awards throughout its history.

Created by sports broadcasting pioneer and former ABC Sports president Roone Arledge, Monday Night Football premiered on September 21, 1970. As one of US televisions premiere properties, it has attracted celebrity guests ranging from John Lennon to former US President Bill Clinton and then-Senator Barack Obama.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

glad to see its back. Ridiculous that we had to go the whole season without the MNF games!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

ESPN is now the best sports channel in the UK & Ireland.
    Please buy the rights to the rest of the games when Sky's contract expires.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    ESPN is now the best sports channel in the UK & Ireland.
    Please buy the rights to the rest of the games when Sky's contract expires.

would hope for this too. and if they are showing pre game stuff on MNF, then hopefully if they got sunday games they'd have the American feed too, and not some clown of a former tight end who has moved to England who can barely string 2 words together.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭henryhenry

bruschi wrote: »
    would hope for this too. and if they are showing pre game stuff on MNF, then hopefully if they got sunday games they'd have the American feed too, and not some clown of a former tight end who has moved to England who can barely string 2 words together.

Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Meh, MNF ain't want it used to be, SNF is where it's at nowadays.

• Advertisement

Meh, MNF ain't want it used to be, SNF is where it's at nowadays.

Seriously? :confused:

I hate everything about SNF, the music, Al Michaels, Andrea Kramer, the homosexual lust for Payton Manning. I like Cris Collinsworth though.

Maybe it's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

I hate everything about SNF, the music, Al Michaels, Andrea Kramer, the homosexual lust for Payton Manning. I like Cris Collinsworth though.

Maybe it's just me.

As opposed to the homosexual lust for Brett Favre on MNF for countless years??

bobby wade wrote: »
    As opposed to the homosexual lust for Brett Favre on MNF for countless years??

Well I never said MNF was perfect :p.

I really enjoyed MNF this past year though. The favre love was overpowering, but Jon Gruden on commentary was fantastic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Maybe it's just me.

I'm talking about the match ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

NIIIICCCCCCEE!!!

I just saw this news. I was toying with cancelling my ESPN sub but not now.

This is awesome news!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

how much is espn here?

€12 on Sky if you have Sky Sports, €16 if you don't have Sky Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

€12 on Sky if you have Sky Sports, €16 if you don't have Sky Sports.

per month? per year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Maybe it's just me.

SNF is much better. The average quality of game far exceeds MNF which far more important than some 90 second intro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Glad to see it's back, not glad now that I have to get ESPN. More expence. :(

Advertisement