Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bmw 320 d e46 2003 timing chain

Options
  • 29-03-2010 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi,
    Am i correct in saying that the above model of car doesnt have a timing belt but a timing chain?
    What does this mean with regards to maintenance, i know you should be changing a belt every 60k or so, is there anything that needs be be done with the chain / anything that i should look out for?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,063 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yup, all BMWs (of recent decades) have timing chains. They don't need any maintenance and should normally last 200k miles or more. A timing chain that's on the way out will start to rattle so it will give you plenty of notice

I wish all cars had chains :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31 biglovin

ya all my previous cars had timing belts and i am getting to the stage where i would have been thinking about replacing it (if my car had one)

thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

unkel wrote: »

I wish all cars had chains :(

Why don't they, what are the advantages of a timing belt over a chain. Having to replace belts and the cost involved is a real pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,063 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A belt is cheaper. And the cynic in me says it brings nice revenue to the dealer network every 4 or 5 years for the life of the car everytime it needs to be replaced. A belt is quieter but you won't really notice that in a modern well insulated car.
    Having to replace belts and the cost involved is a real pain.

The real pain is when the owner doesn't know / forgets to change the belt on time, or worse, when the belt snaps prematurely :mad:

The good news is that more and more manufacturers are returning to chains...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd be more concerned about the condition of the turbo to be honest, the late 2001 to early 2004 150bhp diesel engine suffered from turbo failure. If it has been replaced make sure the seller has receipts/documents to prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 biglovin

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about the condition of the turbo to be honest, the late 2001 to early 2004 150bhp diesel engine suffered from turbo failure. If it has been replaced make sure the seller has receipts/documents to prove it.

well i havent noticed anything like the turbo going or anything like that, i presume there is no way i can actually check this ? :eek:

Advertisement