Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windshield wiper fluid not coming out.

Options
  • 29-03-2010 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Fluid is not coming out for my windshield i cant hear the pump even trying to operate so i'm thinking the motor for the pump must be gone anyone know how much it is for a replacement (it's for a yaris)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Is there fluid in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Stray_Cat

yep:D and there doesnt appear to be a leak either

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Stray_Cat wrote: »
    Fluid is not coming out for my windshield i cant hear the pump even trying to operate so i'm thinking the motor for the pump must be gone anyone know how much it is for a replacement (it's for a yaris)

Replacement would cost about €25 from a scrap yard if you can fit it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Check the fuse first.

I've checked the fuse it doesnt look blown maybe i'll just replace it just to be sure it's not the fuse

• Advertisement

Replaced the fuse still no joy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

If you have a multimeter (fiver in maplin for 12v/24v) then jack up the front of the car and locate the washer bottle. Under neath you will see a wire running to it and a clip.

Unclip the connector and stick one probe to a negative point in the car (any non painted metal surface) and then stick the other probe into the connector. Get someone to press the washer button in the car and see if there is current getting to it.

More often than not, water gets into these connectors and oxidises the contacts. If it lights you can rule out the stalk switch and fuses etc.

If it doesnt it maybe the contacts on the Stalk switch that are gone.

If it does light spray the contacts with wd40 and clean, and see if it will work with a bit of jiggling when you connect it back.

If these dont work the pump is gone.

What car is it by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Check the nozzles aren't blocked by any debris (an air pump usually is a good way of clearing them, plenty at service stations). Also lift bonnet and check lines for evidence of leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

If the pump is turning, you have a blockage in the lines and it's probably the jets. I usually pull the hoses off the jets under the bonnet and I stick a pin down the jets. Also, while the hoses are off, operate the windscreen washer. If water comes out the hoses it's the jets blocked. If a trickle of water comes out of the hoses, the pump is sludged up. That means taking off the tank and cleaning it. Usually the pin down the jet works.

Another trick is to agitate the dirt in the tank, pull the hoses off the jets and operate the washer until the tank is empty. That usually gets rid of the crap in the tank that can block the jets of the washers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

Stray_Cat wrote: »

sounds like you burnt out the motor, when you ran out of liquid and kept asking for more, there was no liquid present to cool the motor as it pumps it. Motor burns out coz it runs faster when dry (no back pressure) and overheats (no liquid to cool it).
    Go to a breakers yard and get the whole wipewash tank (including motor) and have it fitted by a mechanic down the road if you can't do it yourself.

Next time you run out of wipe wash remember not to keep asking for the last drop and do damage to the motor in the process. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement