Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jailbroken 3GS iPhone won't turn on. Help Please!!! I Need It For Work To-Day

Options
  • 29-03-2010 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi folks,
    I bought a second - hand iPhone and it has worked fine...until to-day. When I turn it on, either connected to my laptop or not, it shows the apple logo and just turns off.:(

Please help as I do not want to loose valuable data and restoring it will mean I loose it's Jailbroken features. I still have iTunes 3.1.2.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

c

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Can you usually turn it off and turn it back on without trouble?

I doubt you can as 3.1.2 afaik only has a tethered jailbreak which means you need to run blackra1n every time you turn the phone on.

So have you usually turned it off and back on without issue or is this the first time you have tried to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 fcukhu

No. I have it months now, and never had a problem turning it on or off. My son was messing with it and was on Cydia minutes before...

I just phoned Fonemenders and they said if they try to fix it, they will loose all the data and upgrage the software which will revert it to O2 again, which is what I'm hoping to avoid as I need to operate it on the Vodafone network
    (for work). Bummer!!!

fcukhu wrote: »
    No. I have it months now, and never had a problem turning it on or off. My son was messing with it and was on Cydia minutes before...

I just phoned Fonemenders and they said if they try to fix it, they will loose all the data and upgrage the software which will revert it to O2 again, which is what I'm hoping to avoid as I need to operate it on the Vodafone network
    (for work). Bummer!!!

That's weird... You're sure you have 3.1.2?

Anyway, the best thing to try I'd say is download the blackrain exe, plug the phone in and try to run it.

Assuming it finishes the first time you'll have to run it a second time to get the device to boot.

This doesn't risk losing your data even if it doesn't work I'm 99% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

His has happened to me.

Connect the phone to the charger, leave it 10 min, then hold down the home button and lock button together for about 10 seconds or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

keane2097 wrote: »

I doubt you can as 3.1.2 afaik only has a tethered jailbreak which means you need to run blackra1n every time you turn the phone on.
    incorrect sir !

• Advertisement

@ keane2097 - I bought it unlocked/ jailbroken, and the former owner assured me that it was on 3.1.2. - I have avoided upgrading the iTunes as a result. Just in case, any suggestion how I can confirm this???

@cojomo2 - I will certainly give it a try and let you know what happens.

@BOBBY - Have you a suggestion as to how I can solve my problem???

BOBBY wrote: »
    incorrect sir !

Very helpful.

Would you care to enlighten the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭deep1

keane2097 wrote: »
    3.1.2 is only tethered jailbreak on device over 40 week, Mine is less than 40 week and i have full jailbreak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Try Cojomo's method ....

Can you remember if turning your phone off required you to run blackra1n again ?
    ..what I am trying to ask is , was turning on and off your phone not an issue ?

@cojomo2 - Justt home. I plugged it to the PC and will try the Holding the Buttons exercise in 5 mins.

@ deep 1 - I bought the phone second hand - How can I establish whether it is pre or post week 40?

@mixednuts - I never had a problem turning on or off the iPhone up to this. Perhaps it is pre week 40 and therefore fully Jailbroken??? Any ideas how I can establish this???

Thanks for all your helpful responses.

Regards,

C

• Advertisement

Bugger!!!

I tried holdong down the On/Off button & the circular button at the bottom of the screen, but it just flashed white & turned off after about 4 seconds. I tried it a couple of times but no joy :(:(:(

fcukhu wrote: »
    @cojomo2 - Justt home. I plugged it to the PC and will try the Holding the Buttons exercise in 5 mins.

@ deep 1 - I bought the phone second hand - How can I establish whether it is pre or post week 40?

@mixednuts - I never had a problem turning on or off the iPhone up to this. Perhaps it is pre week 40 and therefore fully Jailbroken??? Any ideas how I can establish this???

Thanks for all your helpful responses.

Regards,

C

To establish the week of manufacture you will need the serial number from the box , do you have it ? If so give me the first 6 digits.

Thanks mixednuts - I PM'd that on to you.

Regards,

C

Ok your phone was made week 21 2009 , so we have ruled out it been a tethered jailbreak .

From reading your post it seems to be stuck at the Apple logo.
    There is a couple of things we could try , but first let me know :

1. What are you using win or mac
    2. Do you know how to SsH into your phone?
    3. Do you know if CYDIA had you hash files on it's Server ? .. Would have said at the top of the Cydia welcom screen .
    4.what was your phone jailbroken with (pwnage , blackra1n etc ?)

Many thanks mixednuts...

1. What are you using win or mac - I have access to both systems

2. Do you know how to SsH into your phone? No, but I can Google it...

3. Do you know if CYDIA had you hash files on it's Server ? .. Would have said at the top of the Cydia welcom screen . Cydia was loaded on the iPhone when I got it, but I never used it.

4.what was your phone jailbroken with (pwnage , blackra1n etc ?) Afraid I don't know. As far as i know the former keeper is no longer in the country...

Any help???

What operating system on the windows machine.

At this point I think a restore is on the cards , but not a official restore but a restore via custom firmware , or by CYDIA server .
    After the restore is complete you will have a phone with none of your Apps etc , but these will resync when you hook it back to iTunes.

Before we take that route , let's try a long shot .
    It seems that whatever your little rascal installed from CYdia has caused thus issue , so if you could ssh into the phone from your P.C and browse to the following
    ROOT/LIBRARY/MOBILESUBSTRATE/DYNAMIC SUMSTRATE ... You will see some files installed by CYDIA ..around the time of the crash .
    THERE SHOULD BE TWO FILES OF THAT PROGRAM, LIYB AND PLIST.

DELETE BOTH FILES YOUR IPHONE SHOULD REBOOT AND BOOT UP.
    ( more than likely the guilty program installed reboot and see if your phone starts up .

Plenty of guides on how to ssh .

Thanks mixednuts, yeah he dowloaded a "theme" off Cydia and was asked to reboot the phone. Since then, it's stuck on the apple screen.

The operating system on the PC is Win XP Professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Does he not need to enable ssh through Cydia ?

Does he not need to enable ssh through Cydia ?

Yes and no ...it's a previously owned phone , hoping Ssh is enabled and background running . Hence the "long shot"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

mixednuts wrote: »
    Yes and no ...it's a previously owned phone , hoping Ssh is enabled and background running . Hence the "long shot"

I'd try ifunbox basically same thing except never need to enbale it through cydia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Hi

Had the same problem myself. Downloaded theme form Cydia then bang.

Took a while to fix, but heres what I did

Connected phone to itunes - iphones wont find the phone but connect it anyway.

once connected, did a power/home button reboot, once the apple logo appeared (you need to get timing right) let go of power button and hold home button until itunes finds the phone in reboot mode and the phone should come back on

However, I did need to do a restore after this and re-synch.

Jialbreak was gone but was able to re break using blackrain.

Am on 3.1.2.

You could also do a restore to a previous firmware (if the phone allows it and not sure if yours does)).

iclarified have all the previous versions and will have instructions on how to downgrade the firmware

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rgirish

fcukhu so were you able to fix the issue? Today I started having the same problem iphone wont start at all. Although I used blackrain to unlock it and I can reset it back to factory mode but i dont want to loose all the data and so much hardwork undone. Please let me know if any of the solution works.

Rgards
    G

Advertisement