Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PARKING METERS @ RUSH AND LUSK TRAIN STATION

Options
  • 28-03-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

I posted this in the off topic thread but i thought i should warn you all.

its seems that the parking meters in rush and lusk train station were robbed last night. but there was one meter down the end on the rush side of the station that was not toucked and is still operational.

i would say that if you dont display a ticket because the other meters are broken i would say you could still be clamped ad this one is operational.

just a warning for you guys who park there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be careful. If one meter is operational, they might try to claim you could pay. If there is a waiver notice, take a photo and make sure you follow the instructions. Allow some extra time for queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Who steals a parking meter? Would there be that much money in it after a weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

the actual parking meter was still there. the cash box p[art was busted open. there could be a substantial amount of money in it to be honest depending on when its emptied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Who steals a parking meter? Would there be that much money in it after a weekend?

I wondered that too. Balbriggan's ticket machines were broken into last week too- I noticed it on Wednesday. They still haven't been fixed. Maybe the robbers hit a few stations!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

I think that having to pay for parking at a train station is wrong. Dublin Corporation are trying to cut down on the cars in the city while Fingal county council are charging people who try to abide by this. They should provide free parking to people who use the trains or busses. There could be a barcode on the ticket that would open the barrier and let you out. Then public transport users would not be charged on the double. What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I think that having to pay for parking at a train station is wrong. Dublin Corporation are trying to cut down on the cars in the city while Fingal county council are charging people who try to abide by this. They should provide free parking to people who use the trains or busses. There could be a barcode on the ticket that would open the barrier and let you out. Then public transport users would not be charged on the double. What do you think?

In theory they should provide free parking but as long as people are willing to pay then they will keep on charging I'm afraid. Personally I think the system is fairer that those who park their cars at the station pay the price for it rather than increasing the cost of a ticket for everyone to provide free parking.

EF wrote: »
    In theory they should provide free parking but as long we people are willing to pay then they will keep on charging I'm afraid. Personally I think the system is fairer that those who park their cars at the station pay the price for it rather than increasing the cost of a ticket for everyone to provide free parking.
    Hello EF.
    The sentiment in my posting was that bona-fide commuters should not have to pay on the double for using public transport. If someone buys a rail ticket, it should be stamped with a bar code which would allow them exit the car park free of charge. Anyone without a ticket would be subject to a charge.
    Regards, BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Hello EF.
    The sentiment in my posting was that bona-fide commuters should not have to pay on the double for using public transport. If someone buys a rail ticket, it should be stamped with a bar code which would allow them exit the car park free of charge. Anyone without a ticket would be subject to a charge.
    Regards, BB.

While that may work for some train stations I couldn't see it working at them all. For example there would be a lot of people parking at say Clontarf train station who wouldn't necessarily be using the train, but most of the car parks in train stations outside the city would be filled with commuters' vehicles I reckon.

Therefore if car parking charges for commuters were scrapped the revenue generated from car parking would slump to such an extent that people who walk or cycle to the train would have to supplement car parking for those who drive. The best way to avoid the charges is to hop on a bike or walk ;)

if i remember correctly the reasom why you have to pay for parking at irish rail car parks was to upgrade the carparks .

as you can see rush was revamped. and i know of other stations were too.

the people who use the car parks are paying for the car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Skerries car park was never upgraded, but the charges were brought in there.
    To be fair, they do not own any of the nearby land, and that land is caught up in a long (i.e.> 5 years) battle about the famous Skerries swimming pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Skerries car park was never upgraded, but the charges were brought in there.
    What about the extension that was put in a number of years ago to the south (parking for 30 approx cars)? Balbriggan got a similar size extension a number of years ago and subsequent charges.

i am no expert on building. but it will take more than a few months of fees to pay for a car park upgrade. so you will have to wait i would imagine.

these will also have to be designed etc etc

i would imagine rush was put on the fast track ( excuse the pun) when the bridge went down.

EF wrote: »
    While that may work for some train stations I couldn't see it working at them all. For example there would be a lot of people parking at say Clontarf train station who wouldn't necessarily be using the train, but most of the car parks in train stations outside the city would be filled with commuters' vehicles I reckon.

Therefore if car parking charges for commuters were scrapped the revenue generated from car parking would slump to such an extent that people who walk or cycle to the train would have to supplement car parking for those who drive. The best way to avoid the charges is to hop on a bike or walk ;)

Fair point indeed but it annoys me that if a lot of people have to drive to a location to use public transport, they are charged for supporting Dublin corporation's plan to keep cars out of the city when they park their cars. A lot of countries recognise this and provide adequate parking. If non commuters wish to use these car parks then they should have to pay but parking should be free for commuters. People are being forced to pay for facilities that should be free. We are being taxed and charged out of existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Actually I'd say it's greed on the part of IE. The Rush revamp has occured several years after the same job was carried out in Skerries/balbriggan etc, and is less to do with the carpark and more to do with making the station accessible for wheelchairs etc. That's part of a programme IE have been implementing over a number of years. The carpark happened too soon after the introduction of the paid parking for that money to have been used. So having increased their fares every year for the last 10 or so years (i use the train very regularly), barely achieving a passable service, and now cutting back on the service (but not the fares), they decide an extra income would be charged carparks. Personally i think it's a complete disgrace, given that they have a barely adequate service as it is, and even with all the money in the last 10 years, they still haven't managed to extend the DART out as far as they should.
    For me, the bottom line is that it is more economical and quicker for me to drive to work in the city everyday from Rush. And that says everything about our public transport system - it's supposed to be a "cheaper" option.IE are in the business of moving trains around, with no regard to the people who might want to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Fair point indeed but it annoys me that if a lot of people have to drive to a location to use public transport, they are charged for supporting Dublin corporation's plan to keep cars out of the city when they park their cars. A lot of countries recognise this and provide adequate parking. If non commuters wish to use these car parks then they should have to pay but parking should be free for commuters. People are being forced to pay for facilities that should be free. We are being taxed and charged out of existence.

I couldn't agree more with your post about the City and attitude toward car use and parking. Also, don't forget that Carbon taxes kick in on May 1st and congestion charges are on the way too.

Something which is in the public demesne but which didn't get enough attention in the last couple of years was a planning application opposite Rush & Lusk train station for a car park. Street level, modest charges but capable of supporting close to if not more than 100 parking spaces thus increasing the flow of customers to the trains. It was refused because it was "premature". I'm not from the area but premature of what exactly?
    dan_d wrote: »
    Actually I'd say it's greed on the part of IE.

I remember when IE sold the idea a couple of years back. What would be good is if someone were to dig up their press release or strategy document from their board meeting. I'm fairly sure it mentioned significant upgrades to their car parks. With the exception of Portmarnock, I'm not aware of structural improvements to the stations other than a significant amount of money being spent on signage, for the paid car parking.

Minister won't instruct IE and IE are in the business of making money.

At least with Metro, there is a huge car parking facility planned with the arrival of the first carriage, whenever that might be.

Advertisement