Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is my car worth???

Options
  • 28-03-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Selling my pug 206 1.4 allure.53000km.
    what is it worth?private or garage sale?
    want to up grade to something a little bigger in diesal.(new baby).
    not a whole pile of cash lying around(but then does anyone).just wondering what you guys think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What year and does it have an NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LIS

its a 06.nct not due yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I have the very same car coming into me as a trade in next week except its the 1.1 version which is easier sold. I fully expect to get about €6750 straight for it. Just remember I'll be selling it serviced, valeted and with a years warranty. You should expect less in a private sale, having said that used car prices are going through the roof at the moment due to a huge shortage of nice 2,3 and 4 year old car. Its over 6 grand anyway.

thank you saab ed.i would be quite happy with 6000 euro:)

LIS wrote: »
    thank you saab ed.i would be quite happy with 6000 euro:)

The rules of selling a car:

A) Make sure the car is very clean and running well

B) Place an ad in a good place i.e donedeal.ie or carzone.ie. Show 5 or 6 good photos in nice surrondings and talk the car up as much as possible within reason.

C) No matter what you think and know about the car , never knock it to somebody , either in person or in the ad. Positive comments only.

D) If you get no response to your ad then somethings wrong i.e its too expensive, if you get lots of calls about it then stand your ground and dont give it away ;)

• Advertisement

thanks for the advise.do love the little thing but buggies and 206 boots dont go well lol

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can NCT a 4 year old car 6 months before it's due date. If you are selling the car privately I would try and get it NCT'd. It will make it alot more attractive to a potential buyer.

bazz26 you have educated me.didnt know that.so do i just ring nct centre or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yep, just ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Or just go online! You need to know the date of first registration of your car though. You can find this on your vehicle licensing certificate (form RF101)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

bazz26 wrote: »
    You can NCT a 4 year old car 6 months before it's due date. If you are selling the car privately I would try and get it NCT'd. It will make it alot more attractive to a potential buyer.

The other good thing about that is it'll be valid for 2 years plus the difference - so if it's not due for another 3 months, you'll have a valid NCT on it for the full 2 years and 3 months.

Would be a great help selling it alright. Assuming you are selling it privately, make sure you know the main dos and don'ts:

- Preferably have someone else to be around when dealing with viewing and test drives.
    - Only meet at either your house or the buyers house, not in car parks.
    - Never take personal cheques - way to risky imo. Personally I'd only take cash for a private sale, but others would take a bank draft. You could arrange to go to the bank with the buyer and do a funds transfer there and then.
    - Be willing to take a reasonable offer depending on how you price it.
    - Make sure the buyer has existing insurance before they test drive the car.
    - Personally I'd volunteer information on anything you've had fixed with the car, any shunts etc.. Some people wouldn't and you only have to provide information like that if asked, but I just think it makes life easier. I'd rather have told the buyer the information up front rather than have someone ringing the house with "you never told me about....". Honesty is the best policy imo, hence I'd never work in the trade. ;)

PauloMN wrote: »
    - Personally I'd volunteer information on anything you've had fixed with the car, any shunts etc.. Some people wouldn't and you only have to provide information like that if asked, but I just think it makes life easier. I'd rather have told the buyer the information up front rather than have someone ringing the house with "you never told me about....". Honesty is the best policy imo, hence I'd never work in the trade. ;)

:eek: God no. Selling a car is a game of poker. Just say nothing unless they ask. Most people dont have to be talked into something , they usually talk themselves into it so just let them. Also if you say too much you can look desperate to sell and thats the last impression you want to give. I admire the honesty PauloMN but sometimes you just have to play hard ball.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Saab Ed wrote: »
    :eek: God no. Selling a car is a game of poker. Just say nothing unless they ask. Most people dont have to be talked into something , they usually talk themselves into it so just let them. Also if you say too much you can look desperate to sell and thats the last impression you want to give. I admire the honesty PauloMN but sometimes you just have to play hard ball.

I did say "personally" - it's a matter of choice. You obviously sell cars for a living - I don't - so I'm talking about cars I would sell myself. Once a car is repaired properly, I don't see any issue and while you may think it may appear as desperate to sell, I know most people appreciate honesty. Anyway it's a personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

PauloMN wrote: »
    I did say "personally" - it's a matter of choice. You obviously sell cars for a living - I don't - so I'm talking about cars I would sell myself. Once a car is repaired properly, I don't see any issue and while you may think it may appear as desperate to sell, I know most people appreciate honesty. Anyway it's a personal choice.

I agree, when I see ads on adverts.ie or donedeal that tell me the 'Good Points' and 'Bad Points' I'd have much more confidence in the seller, and the car. Better the devil you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Remind me never to buy a car from you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's ok, Saab Ed doesn't sell cars for a living ;)

thanks for all your good advise.dont have any problems with being honest.i wouldnt let anyone but the main dealer touch my car.they were good to deal with and looked after us well.second car we bought off them.never any problems.

Advertisement