Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus alternator

Options
  • 28-03-2010 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

hi guys

have a problem with my focus, was driving tonight home and first came on the ABS light then the battery light came on and slowly but shurly the power started to die, so i switched off the radio heater and lights on it and got a bit more power from the engine just enough to get me home, at this point i tought i broke the belt but when checked it was still there,

dont think its the battery as i never had a problem with it before and i dont think it would die as quick as it did and this is why i think its the alternator,

now my question, is there a bench test you can do or dose the car need to be running 'cause i cant start the car with the battery as dead as it is and also what sort of price am i talking about if it is gone

Ford Focus
    Engine = 1400
    Year = 2007

thanks alot guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Coilpack and or plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭jordo76

hi Hal1

thanks for the reply but i dont think it would be eather as i dont think all 4 plugs would go at the same time and as for the coil pack the car didnt feel as if it wanted to stall or anything like that, the car drove normaly just that electrical power died on it,

thanks again for the reply

also lightning ty for that link just joined the forum and looks intresting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

My dad had an 06 1.6. Had the exact same symptoms as you one night. Jumped car and off it went. Died the following night again so popped a new battery in. All was well for a week. Then same thing again. He dropped it into the nearest dealer which was a Kia one and they sorted him out with a new alternator. They even got a contribution from Ford for it! They were next to a Ford service centre though so knew them quite well I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Mine went on NYE or Dec 30th on my '05 1.6 TDCI. My local indy is just up the road. I thought it was a turbo problem when I lost power/heard a whining noise. Turned out it was the altenator. When the power dropped I got heavy steering, warning lights etc..

I think it cost me, with labour and parts about €270 all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

A new alternator is the most expensive way to do it. If you get them reconditioned you won't have the issue again as the reconned unit will not be fitted with the original brand parts.

As said its very common on fords.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement