Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any opel mech's out there?

Options
  • 28-03-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Alright lads and lassies, have a problem with a 1.4 astra gl 16v 2001.

2nd and 3rd gear ders a rattle noise from d engine in low rev's, 1500-2000 revs, sounds horrible!:mad:

A mate said it either needs new spark plugs or a new "power pack", but when i look up this on google etc there's no ref for it. Any idea's what the actual name of the part is and how much it could cost?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

coil pack is probably what they meant. could be lots of things though, is it down on power?
    when was the water pump changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RidesLikeRossi

Water pump done bout 11-12k miles ago when the timing belt got done

colm_mcm wrote: »
    coil pack is probably what they meant. could be lots of things though, is it down on power?
    when was the water pump changed?

sorry, didnt fully answer! No, doesnt seem down on power as such, just seems sluggish until it gets over 2k revs only in 2nd and 3rd! Thought it mite be dirty oil messin with the tappets myself, but not sure, so thought i'd ask bout!

spark plugs, coil packs and airflow sensor would be a good place to start. might be more economical to bring it to a garage than randomly buying parts.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    spark plugs, coil packs and airflow sensor would be a good place to start. might be more economical to bring it to a garage than randomly buying parts.

Yeah, have a lad lookin into it on tues i think, but i'm hopin it'l just be the plugs, sorted for €40 quid like, new coil and i'm screwed!:(

• Advertisement

plugs are 24 a set in Halfords if you fancy doing it yourself,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

I'm an opel mechanic and by the sounds of your problem it is most likely a coil pack or an egr valve. They give trouble on this engine. Very unlikely to just need plugs. The 1.4 astra (yours is a Z14XE) does not have an airflow meter.

EDIT By the way, I would always replace the plugs when replacing the coil pack unless they are fairly new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Yeah, have a lad lookin into it on tues i think, but i'm hopin it'l just be the plugs, sorted for €40 quid like, new coil and i'm screwed!:(

Your not screwed at all, Bosch coil packs(same as opel but with a GM box) are not expensive from a motor factors.

A quick check on a diagnostic computer will confirm the problem first though.

Advertisement