Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going rate for commission only sales job

Options
  • 28-03-2010 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the going rate commission to be paid to a sales person in the following situation?

- working from home in Dublin area

- commission only rate, no base salary

- cold calling by telephone to sell advertising space on a respectable online website directory

- selling to professional service providers

- phone provided and all out of pocket exps paid

- sales person to have at least 2 years relevant experience

- the listings being sold range from €300 to €2500

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BennyBlanko

If you are serious about employing a sales PROFESSIONAL to represent your brand/product/service, hire them on a base salary and commission.

Cos if you pay peanuts, you'll get...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 albacete

If you are serious about employing a sales PROFESSIONAL to represent your brand/product/service, hire them on a base salary and commission.

....an empty peanut bag?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm assuming the OP is looking to apply for a commission only job. A ''respectable online website directory'' generally wouldn't look for advice on boards.ie.

OP, I think a minimum of 15% would be okay, but preferably 20%

So if you sell a €300 ad space you get €60, and if you sell €2500 you get €500.

Then again, I'm talking from the point of view of the employee, not employer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

herpes ! .... no.... scurvy !! ... monkeys ???

is this a competition ?

seriously though .... the OP is entitled to ask for opinions on boards - there are plenty of people here who regularly help start-up businesses or point people in the right direction if they have an idea and want to run with it.

the only thing I would suggest OP is that a base salary is much more appealing to someone looking for a job, then again a decent bonus scheme could blind them into thinking they can walk away every week with decent money....all depends on how good they are at the job.

Personally I've never worked on commission and dont think I would be able for it - so be prepared to find it difficult to get business in - its all down to the sales pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Sales Agents would typically work on commission rates of 10-15%, but rates could drop to 3-5% for very large volume/value sales.

For ad sales I would have thought 20% would be at higher end of scale?

• Advertisement
Advertisement