Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reconditioned Engine

Options
  • 28-03-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Any advice on the best place to get a reconditioned engine? It is for a Volvo S40. Have been looking for an engine for a few months but nothing going at all (1.8 petrol, 2004 old model). Kennys in galway can do them. Will give traynors in the north a shout in the morning to get a quote if they do them. Just wondering is there anywhere else that is worth contacting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Whats wrong with the engine you have? It is usually as cheap to rebuild the one you have then buy a second hand one, never mind a reconditioned one.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jcpc16

It over-heated and the mechanic doesn't think fixing the head gasket will be enough. It's an alluminium engine so the whole thing is done for. (as you might guess I'm not an expert but my brother knows engines and the mechanic explained it to him and it made sense)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Fair enough, it can still be re-machined but that would make it unviable versus a second hand engine alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭choo choo man

Personally i would lift the head off and look at the bores an pistons before you condem the engine, How badly roasted was the engine ?. If its not too bad it might be worth checking the head for warping,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

There's this crowd: -
    http://www.iviengines.ie/
    Who've been mentioned on here before
    and
    hpmp.ie who sem to have a good track record for reconditioning work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement