Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jesus the sinner..?

Options
  • 28-03-2010 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I dont want to keep hijacking the other thread (Whats the purpose behind Jesus being crucified?) so I just started this one.

So I did some googling... and emmm I found some research that says Jesus was (without a doubt) a sinner...

Though Im not gonna lie and say Ive read the bible or I know about the bible... so the bible quotes in this site could be fiction. But I think its kinda interesting if they are real bible quotes. And would it matter all that much if Jesus was a sinner anyway...????

http://www.exposingchristianity.com/sinning_nazarene.html

And now that wer kinda on the subject I just wanna ask a quick question (sorry I really dunno much when it comes to this religion bizzness, as Im sure you probably guessed by now, though Id love to go mass but I dunno what my mates and family would make off it) OK so whats the point of Catholicism (I mean I understand why the king made protestantism because he wanted more wives then he was allowed)- but whats the story with Catholics...?? would we not be better off going back to the original religion..?? Sorry if thats a stupid question or doesnt make sense... but it makes sense to me..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Damo, you can just about find anything on the internet. I can't even begin to point out the flaws in that site. Not only does it contain bizarre quotes like "Because of being steeped in, believing, and living a lie, in the the advanced stages of Christianity, the Christian takes on an artificial appearance and begins to look like the lie: The well-known pasty look with the smiley mask. The lie emerges in the physical self", it also contains some very nasty anti-Jewish nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Damo123 wrote: »
    I dont want to keep hijacking the other thread (Whats the purpose behind Jesus being crucified?) so I just started this one.

So I did some googling... and emmm I found some research that says Jesus was (without a doubt) a sinner...

Though Im not gonna lie and say Ive read the bible or I know about the bible... so the bible quotes in this site could be fiction. But I think its kinda interesting if they are real bible quotes. And would it matter all that much if Jesus was a sinner anyway...????

http://www.exposingchristianity.com/sinning_nazarene.html

And now that wer kinda on the subject I just wanna ask a quick question (sorry I really dunno much when it comes to this religion bizzness, as Im sure you probably guessed by now, though Id love to go mass but I dunno what my mates and family would make off it) OK so whats the point of Catholicism (I mean I understand why the king made protestantism because he wanted more wives then he was allowed)- but whats the story with Catholics...?? would we not be better off going back to the original religion..?? Sorry if thats a stupid question or doesnt make sense... but it makes sense to me..
    Nothing in that list makes Jesus a sinner. Much would if He were merely a man - but He is God as well as man, and the demands He made are totally appropriate for God.

But if there is any particular ones from the list you want me to deal with in detail, I'll be glad to.

As to the Catholic/Protestant/Original thing, Protestantism did not arise from Anglicanism and Henry. It was there long before and in other lands also. It came to prominence at the Reformation, when some political powers helped dissenters from the RCC survive, but from NT times there have been individuals and churches/movements that preached the 'Protestant' gospel. Their intention was exactly as you suggested - to hold to the original religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I mean I understand why the king made protestantism because he wanted more wives then he was allowed

Please go and read a history book. Protestantism didn't start with Henry VIII.

I think you need to go back to basics Damo. Forget what you think you know about Protestantism, Catholicism and whatever else (it's all quite complicated anyway). I suggest that your search should begin with the focus of Christianity - Jesus. If any of that makes sense then you can worry about denominational differences and the finer points later.

You might find the following talks interesting. If I remember correctly (and there is no guarantee of that) they should cover the basics of what Christianity is about. They are all available to download and you can listen to them at your leisure.

Who is Jesus - Is he the truth? (Ravi Zacharias)
    Reason for God? Belief in an Age of Skepticism - Pt 1 and Pt 2 (Tim Keller)
    Who Was Jesus of Nazareth? (William Lane Craig)
    How is Jesus Relevant? (Vinoth Ramachandra)

I realise that you might feel embarrassed about what others think, but your search for truth is worthy of praise. I'm sure that the Christians and non-Christians will agree with this. You don't have to make a song and dance about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Damo123

wolfsbane wrote: »
    But if there is any particular ones from the list you want me to deal with in detail, I'll be glad to.

THanks for the offer... but judging by everybodies responses Im guessing its all wrong so Im not gonna waste your time. But I appreciate your helpfullness and willingness to explain stuff to me. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Oh and PDN... I never claimed to be a religion expert... I was just told by a few different people that the king started it.. SO I assumed they were right... But judging by your reply Im guessing they were wrong frown.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blueboyd

To have an agreement whether Yeshua was a sinner or not we would have to first agree what sin is. I am sure there will be lots of people up this thread to volunteer to define you what is sin and what not and say it is the truth based on the bible or whatever, but then again there are still lots of people out there in the world who think that women wearing make up is sinful abd find their justification from the scriptures.

I am sure few decades ago it would have been sinful to say that Yeshua too had to go to the loo - except they didn't have loos back then so he was sitting in the bushes. So the concept of sin is culturally based and is tied to the times we live in.

Blueboyd wrote: »
    To have an agreement whether Yeshua was a sinner or not we would have to first agree what sin is. I am sure there will be lots of people up this thread to volunteer to define you what is sin and what not and say it is the truth based on the bible or whatever, but then again there are still lots of people out there in the world who think that women wearing make up is sinful abd find their justification from the scriptures.

I am sure few decades ago it would have been sinful to say that Yeshua too had to go to the loo - except they didn't have loos back then so he was sitting in the bushes. So the concept of sin is culturally based and is tied to the times we live in.

Largely I do think people are in agreement that certain deeds are sinful - cheating on your wife, beating up old ladies for fun etc. etc. If one believes in God then presumably it doesn't follow that he, too, takes a tedious postmodernist approach to morality.

Also, less of the potty talk :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Be wary of anything that has "Exposing" in the title, particularly if it is followed by "Christianity", "Judaism", "Atheism" or "Evolution" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭daithiocondun

Damo, you're not wasting anyone's time at all. In fact, the issue of Christ's sinlessness is something which is debated all the time. You could even further your questions to encompass the immaculate conception of the Blessedf Virgin Mary... which is even more contraversial for various reasons (when you think about it).

1st of all, that website is rubbish. Anything can be found in the internet. In fact, no religion (even those who don't accept Jesus as the son of God) would argue that Christ was a sinner. He was, at the very least, a good person and a wonderful prophet and teacher.

As for his sinlessness, that is a Christian belief on the basis that a sinful human could not bridge the gap caused by the "fall" between man and God. (By "man" I mean all humanity). It is only through the absolute divinity and humanity of Christ can he save humanity at the end of time. He wipes away the taint of original sin. If Christ was a sinner, then he would be seriously deficient as a saviour. How could a sinner save man from the very sins which he has committed??

To counter the argument (for the sake of fun!), there is also a problem here when we consider that if Christ was and will always be the only human being who was entirely sinless, then was he in fact human at all? If he is so different to all of mankind, then is he not too removed from the human condition to save us?? The Church would say that Christ is the perfect human being: an emblym of God's ideal vision for humanity. An impossible aspiration, if you like.

I hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Wicknight wrote: »
    Be wary of anything that has "Exposing" in the title, particularly if it is followed by "Christianity", "Judaism", "Atheism" or "Evolution" :pac:

"Self"

• Advertisement
Advertisement