Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Xenon conversion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If your factory headlights are not originally fitted with xenons then you can have issues with the beam alignment due to the reflector being designed for normal bulbs.

Also a MK5 golf(I presume it is?) has multiplex wiring so you can't go just tapping into the existing wires to power the xenon kit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

Ye its a MK5. OK thanks, so are you saying its not possible or that I have to be careful? That website does the installation as well so I would probably get them to do it, but with the reflectors being an issue maybe its best to leave it.

On another note, is there many issues with me upgrading my 16" alloys to 18" ones? Ive heard it can affect the speedometer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

malin182 wrote: »
    Ye its a MK5. OK thanks, so are you saying its not possible or that I have to be careful? That website does the installation as well so I would probably get them to do it, but with the reflectors being an issue maybe its best to leave it.

On another note, is there many issues with me upgrading my 16" alloys to 18" ones? Ive heard it can affect the speedometer?

If you get a set of quality bulbs for the lights you have they can improve the headlights without the issues of xenons/hid's

Golfs are available with 18 inch wheels as an option so the speedo will still be reading ok, all speedo's over read anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

If you get a set of quality bulbs for the lights you have they can improve the headlights without the issues of xenons/hid's

Golfs are available with 18 inch wheels as an option so the speedo will still be reading ok, all speedo's over read anyway.

Indeed some even came as standard with 18's,one you have the right size tyres fitted you are ok.

As for HIDs,HId kits fitted to reflector headlights are one of my pet hates on the road esp if not aligned correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭focusowner

xenon kits for the vw range are easy to fit the only thing you need is a canbus error cancelling box which comes with them if its the correct kit !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 C.Rizzle

I have Hid's In my civic coupe,
    an one goes off and ya have to switch the lights on and
    off a couple of times to get it back on does anybody no
    what that is or any experience like this???
    Cheers

swap ur ballasts from the side thats causing trouble and if it now starts to occur on the opposite side its ur ballast thats acting up if not its ur bulb !

one of mine is at the same and oddly its on the headlights so sometimes i dip my lights and it dont come back on so another quick flash of the lever and its back on ! but its only on the one side aint bothered replacing it yet

Can anyone tell me the difference between the kits on this page?

https://www.icetronix.com/index.aspx?page=category3&category1=LIGHTING&category2=HID+KITS

ridiculously expensive the second last one in h4 has a xenon tube but a halogen for low beam its crap if its h4 ur after u should go for the bi-xenon kit which has a shutter that covers the bulb when u dip to low beam ! u should expect to pay around 100 euro for a set depending on what ur looking for !

So whats the difference between the "hi beam, low beam" and the other "conversion" kits?

• Advertisement

on the mark 5 ul need (depending on how much u want to spend) a minimum of 1 set of either h1s or h7s cant rightly remember whats what on the golf mk5 but assume its the same set up as my caddy !

so lets say ur looking to improve your low beam (dips) and for example they are h1s well ul need a set of h1 xenons which is enough for the low beam on both sides ul receive in the kit 2 h1 xenon bulbs 2 ballasts (either slimline or older bulkier version ) and ul also need a error light cancelling box or it will show up on ur dash as blown bulbs !

if its the headlights high beam ur doing then ul buy a h7 kit or whichever u need or if u decide to try selling these sets like me maybe ul do both !:D

fitting takes roughly 20 mins per bulb depending on the car manufacturer and how much space uv got to play around with !

then ul have the decision of the colour of the light output

4300k extremely bright white
    6000k a slight blue tinge from these
    8000k are blue-more likely to get the cops attention
    10000k are bluey purple again i wouldnt fit them
    12000k purple for show use only

any questions pm me and il see if i can help u out ! but as for those prices u mention u should almost be looking at getting both sets for that not just one ! it will be a little bit more expensive but if u were to buy both sets from those guys ur talking 400 euro

there is a shop in kells i think thats doing them for 110 or so per set

Nice one mate, id say ill just go for the dipped ones for the moment, so I guess Ill need the one kit in that case as they come with 2 bulbs. Whats the story with the cops and the street legal side of things? Can they do you for them? Im prob gonna go for the 6000k cause Im liking the bluey tint Im seeing around.

The reason im asking about the legality of them is cause it seems theres a good few mercs and beamers around with the same bright beams on lights, although maybe they just simply got the kits themselves.

Also just read in another forum these wont work with the auto light function, is that true?

as far as legal side of things im not equipped to answer that but to avoid causing a nuisance i reckon ur as safe as u can be with the 6000k although i do really like my 4300ks

take the bulb out that ur looking to change for xenon and just make sure its a h1 or h7 first

pm me if u want details of that shop

Me again, just looking at alloys and noticed these on the site http://www.alloy-wheels.ie/led.html

Do these just simply fit into the standard bulb sockets? And if so, are they any use does anyone know?

they are just parking light bulbs and they will fit in ur parking lights alright ! again with the can bus system they may show up as a blown bulb

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ad wrote:
    Unlike cheap ebay bulbs these do not activate bulb warning lamps on VAG cars.
    might be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KoRn101

I got my golf some pretty little xenons from hid-xenons.com and they set me up quite nicely. I had to get it fitted because of the conversion box for the light connectors (Not sure what that was about) But it worked out fine.

And the speedo will be find on larger alloys. Sure just keep the foot down till you see the rozzers! ;)

Advertisement